Looking for Advice!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSALLEN

Reaction score
Recently, I have been looking at replacing the stock exhaust system for something that would make my '99 sound better. My question is: If I'm primarily looking for a change in sound, would it be better to just replace the factory installed muffler with an aftermarket muffler such as a flowmaster super 44 series (recommended to me by a family friend), or to save up some money and replace the whole set-up?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
JSALLEN, if all you are after is more volume, then yes, a muffler like you are talking about will accomplish that. now, if you are looking at getting more power out of the truck, this is a loaded question. What do I mean by this? It is easy. You can open up the exhaust and get something that will make a lot more power from the engine, but this is due to reducing back pressure. Back pressure is what makes the low end torque (what makes the truck get off the line from just above idle). So, a large diameter exhaust system will be great for the moments when you are at 5,000 RPM. But down at 2,000 RPM, it can be a real drag because the engine will not be able to make adequate power. So, there in itself becomes a balancing game of opening up the exhaust system to get more power, but keeping it restrictive enough to make good low end power and keep the mileage up.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
go to your local muffler shop and get a glass pac installed inplace of the stock muffler.. nice mild rumble with no drown..

cost about $70

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
straight pipe instead of the muffler. Best thing I have done to my truck. Sounds great, cost me $50 at a shop. I got a little bit better MPGs out of it aswell and it made me really get on the throttle more lol.
I get a quiet rumble thats barely louder than stock.... but when you get on the skinny pedal it turns heads.
I left all 4 Cat converters in it and just cut out the muffler and put a pipe in its place. No popping back presssure like most straight piped set-ups b/c of the Cats being in
Best $50 I ever spent

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my sig has my set up.... but I would just put a flowmaster 40 series or 44 or 10 (fell in love with them the other night) and call it a day... will get the sound and minimal price

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had just the flowmaster 44 at first and honestly its not much louder then stock. It was actually depressing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712