Looking to buy 2006 Expedition- need some info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMasz

Reaction score
I plan on getting an Expedition and will likely be looking at a late model.One I am considering reportedly has the "towing package" which extra capacity is needed to tow the boat. How do I determine whether this actually has the real towing package versus the standard hitch?

Thanks in advance.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it has the HD towing pkg, there will be two small finned coolers (radiators) you can see through the lower grill opening. One is for the trans cooler (HD tow pkg), and one will be for the AC condenser cooler (I think).

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes the two coolers the bigger of the two is for the transmission and the smaller one is for the power steering also see if it has lines into the radiator on the driver side this will be for the oil cooler and see if you have the factory ford rv plug in the rear.. since your gonna be towing i would get the 5.4

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmmmm...i got plug in the rear for trailers...i got trans cooler but not sure about power steering cooler....gonna check on mine....:rolleyes:

mines 1st expedition yr i think this body style....i c 2000 expy......no difference underneath....just a little body difrences,not even body...just front bumber,side molding,running board....same truck underneath...its a f-150 f-250 chassie....

Last edited:

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
stone...thats your truck....lQQks heavy tow......looks low w/boat....u need air shocks....lol hows trans....u ever replace or work on trans.

i towed a boat for 1 yr with a 89 iroc....17 footer did my trans in.....lol cost me 1700....that was florida life....in new jersey now....

go "new jersey devil" hockey playoffs

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah. I am having the tongue weight verified this Spring. It looks heavier than it really is there since there is a lot of luggage in the rear. We were pulling it 1200 miles from SC to WI after a vacation. It tows perfectly, and I have had no trans issues as of now, but it does sag the rear more than I like. Can't find any helper springs that are made for it though.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
go to sears....get air shocks....there adjustable of coasrse....about $200 or less,installed. worked good for a explorer i have...all explorers sag.:cool:

just a thought..:rolleyes:.......i was going to install myself those road handlers...with the spring support around it.(shock with spring). i dont tow thou...i just want the lift.

freaking big boat...nice. rather hasve truck thou...hehe

Last edited:

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
stoned, reese makes a WDH that is designed to work on boat trailers with surge brakes. might be worth looking into

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
stoned, reese makes a WDH that is designed to work on boat trailers with surge brakes. might be worth looking into

Thanks. I am having a hard time finding one that works with our trailer. The tongue is a good 5-6 feet long before it triangulates out, so finding a WDH with bars that long hasn't been easy. If you look at my sig, the trailer triangulates at the spare tire.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I am having a hard time finding one that works with our trailer. The tongue is a good 5-6 feet long before it triangulates out, so finding a WDH with bars that long hasn't been easy. If you look at my sig, the trailer triangulates at the spare tire.

the one i seen has only one bar and goes directly under the tongue and i think you set the load on the bar the same as a V tongue set up

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluesharktooth26