Loose Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uberexpy

Reaction score
My '05 XLT 4WD began running rough and throwing p300, p301 & p308 codes. I figured it was time to change plugs again. The last time this happened, I took in to a large Ford dealer in Raleigh, NC. They explained the broken spark plug issue and scared me into giving them $700 for the job. This time, i tackled it.myself. I followed the TSB to the letter. All of them came out in one piece. However, three of them were only finger tight. Since changing them, the "exhaust" leak noise has gone away, the valve tick noise has silenced and all I hear is the injectors and light VCT tick. I had feared thousands of dollars in repairs, but only spent $170 in plugs & COPs. I just put 400 miles on it this weekend, and no more codes have been thrown.

Has anyone else experienced loose spark plugs? If so, which ones?

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easy one...the Ford Stealer service tech didn't torque the plugs properly. As you discovered best to do the job yourself.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I worked for a dealer. Mechanics can be lazy and take short cuts, especially if it is a job they hate doing(like this one) or warranty work(pays less). Taking it to a dealer, is not always your best bet.

OP
OP
U

Uberexpy

Reaction score
I suspected that they didn't torque them. I wanted to know if there have been any issues with plugs loosening over time before I jumped to the conclusion that the dealer's wrench holder was too lazy to be a mechanic.

On the interesting side of this job, I used a beam type torque wrench, and held between 30 to 35 ft/lbs on each plug until it broke loose, turned it about1/8th turn and shot them with carb cleaner. Whole job took about 2hrs.