Loss of power, no code.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JonFrancis76

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
I started reassembly. Progress has been slow. It's so hot in FL I don't want to work in the driveway
Got the new cam and oil pump in. Then I timed the engine, and put the new tensioners on. All that's left is to install the rockers and put the covers on.
20180930_183123.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what they said back in the early sixties at NASA. Wish you payed attention in math and science class, eh!It's just basic mechanical work, with a little more thrown in. If you can time in a basic Ford overhead valve Motor, with lining up the cam and crank dots at 12 and 6. add 2 cams to the equation, and match up the shiny chain links and booyah, you got it! It ain't that hard. Always put the slack part of the chain on the side that has the tenshioners, and your golden. I always used to turn the motor 2-3 times to be sure all the slack of chains got taken away. That's just being sure!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
That's what they said back in the early sixties at NASA. Wish you payed attention in math and science class, eh!It's just basic mechanical work, with a little more thrown in. If you can time in a basic Ford overhead valve Motor, with lining up the cam and crank dots at 12 and 6. add 2 cams to the equation, and match up the shiny chain links and booyah, you got it! It ain't that hard. Always put the slack part of the chain on the side that has the tenshioners, and your golden. I always used to turn the motor 2-3 times to be sure all the slack of chains got taken away. That's just being sure!

I agree! Really doesn't look too bad other than leaning over and In for countless hours. My back hates being in that position for too long.

OP
OP
JonFrancis76

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
Yep... I spun it over a few times by hand just to make sure it was smooth.
I'm just glad it's not a DOHC engine.

It's actually not too bad to work on. I can lay on the top or I can sit up on the ground in front of the engine.

Right now I'm reasarching the best way to get the roller followers back in without bending a valve or dropping one into the cylinder. I have 16 of them that need to be installed now. Looks like it's going to be tedious no matter what.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well first of all, it is a double overhead cam engine, one on each side, count em. Pick yourself up a repair DVD from eBay or whomever. You really should have one. You'll need torquing specs, and sequence, very critical, cam timing procedure, etc. You can print copies of area your working on and keep in your tool box. Repair DVD is under $20.00.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see what your saying, it's not like a Ferrari or other 4 cam motor. But it has 2 cams not the one like a pushrod motor. Sorry for the confusion.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting thread, sorry about your engine issues. Did you have engine noises on cold starts before this , as mentioned in the thread. New to my Expy too, curious to know what sound to watch out for, does not look like a simple repair.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon, don’t want to start a debate but I’d get rid of that orange can and never look back. These motors don’t like Fram oil filters.....then again there aren’t many that like them lol.....

Their better lines like ultra are built much better but those base filters are pretty bad construction, here’s a good read:

http://www.livjones.com/2014/05/what-oil-filter-is-best-or-why-you.html?m=1

Last edited: