Loss of Power/Stall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheddarhead

Reaction score
'98 Eddie Bow Wow edition with the 5.4 engine...

We've had it for a decade...and it's got 240,000 miles on the OD...just think of all the gas this bad boy kid-hauler has consumed over the years...

My daughter was using the truck, visiting friends a couple of hours from home...calls in a panic, saying the truck has "died..."

Engine runs, but very rough, and no power through/to the axle. I'm 600 miles away.

My wife says "Oh yeah...they said it needed a "speed sensor".

Months ago (grrrrr!)

I'm an "OK" shade tree mechanic...but couldn't find any references to this sensor...

Any ideas/suggestions as to what the problem(s) might be, and whether I can tackle this in the driveway?

Thanks!

Cheddar

2002EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This probably won't help but I think the speed sensor will effect the ABS and speedo only. Should still drive.

I did have an episode with my 02 4.6 this week. Had some weird electrical problems. My truck was wrecked in the front a few months ago. Long story short, loose ground behind left headlight on rad support. Flash to pass and rear wiper caused it to stall and not restart. (among other issues)

OP
OP
C

Cheddarhead

Reaction score
Originally posted by AvroAero
What was rough? The output or the engine running? If you are 4wd with A4wd then you have 2 speed sensors.

The vehicle has the auto 4WD (4WD Hi/Lo/Auto) option.

My daughter indicated that the engine ran, but that there was no response when she pressed the accelerator....

I realize that there isn't alot of info here...but I haven't observed this symptom myself yet. My wife indicated that this has happened before, and that shutting the truck off and starting it a few minutes later was effective in restoring normal functions.