power loss and wrench icon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff M

Reaction score
Final update: Shop replaced the throttle body, drove it around w/o further problems. Not too surprising given the history of issues with Ford throttle bodies. I'm kind of surprised that no failure codes were stored, given the severity of the problem. But I drove about 100 miles over this weekend towing a cargo trailer and had no issues, so I'm pretty happy.
I had this happen several times while towing with no codes showing. Finally, while towing on a long trip it happened several times in succession. Thankfully, the check engine light came on the last time. I made a quick trip to AutoZone for a scan and one hour and $120 later I had a new throttle body installed. I've had no problems since including on the long tow trip back.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this happen several times while towing with no codes showing. Finally, while towing on a long trip it happened several times in succession. Thankfully, the check engine light came on the last time. I made a quick trip to AutoZone for a scan and one hour and $120 later I had a new throttle body installed. I've had no problems since including on the long tow trip back.

That is my exact nightmare. Pulling the boat or horses, family on board, and difficult to get to the shoulder, not to mention sitting there trouble shooting.

OP
OP
G

gkretro

Reaction score
I had the same nightmare. I was having the failure intermittantly but often enough to be scary. No problems since the throttle body was replaced.

jlines

Reaction score
Got the new one in. Pretty easy job, you could definitely do this on the side of the road if you HAD to. 8mm deep socket/ratchet took care of the hose clamps and throttle body bolts.
The old one was pretty oily, more than I would’ve expected considering I have a catch can, but I guess I have no frame of reference for that thought.
Hope the problem is fixed.
Do you think cleaning would have helped? Doesn't seem to gunked up.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I considered it. I couldn’t replicate the issue on the remaining 200+ miles home after it initially happened. I had my pregnant wife, 4 year old, and dog in the truck, and it was precarious enough to get over to the shoulder with no throttle at all, and then worry about being stranded, that I replaced it for peace of mind. I’ve been driving the new one like it’s been stolen and no issues, so hopefully that was it. When it warms up I may clean the old one and keep it in my truck’s emergency kit as backup.

Mwp2295

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I figured I would add my experience in case it helped anyone. 2015 expedition with 147,000 miles. This happened to me 2 days after changing the transmission fluid, which might have been a trigger. Pulled out of the drive way, and wrench icon came on, and I lost all power to the vehicle. It was idling really rough, and I couldn't move the car at all. I tried to cut it off and back on about 5 or 6 times to see if it would reset. It didn't for me. Maybe it needs more time to reset. I hooked it to my truck and pulled it back into the driveway, and then came back later that afternoon to look at it. At this point, it did crank and I could drive it, but now the check engine light was on. The codes being thrown were P2111 and P2112. This forum and those codes led me to believe it was the throttle body. I was going to buy one, but local autoparts store out of stock, so I decided to just clean mine really good as I had some throttle body cleaner in the garage from a job years ago. I will add a picture below. I also came across a video on youtube that talked about how you need to recalibrate the throttle body after cleaning them or any work on the vehicle really, so I did that as well. I will link those videos as well below. I went for a test drive and all seems well at the moment, but really too early to tell. I will update if I experience the issue again.

https://youtu.be/ZNxXM75zJOw

https://youtu.be/JPNnHU6PYbo

20220802_180943.jpg

Mwp2295

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I figured I would add my experience in case it helped anyone. 2015 expedition with 147,000 miles. This happened to me 2 days after changing the transmission fluid, which might have been a trigger. Pulled out of the drive way, and wrench icon came on, and I lost all power to the vehicle. It was idling really rough, and I couldn't move the car at all. I tried to cut it off and back on about 5 or 6 times to see if it would reset. It didn't for me. Maybe it needs more time to reset. I hooked it to my truck and pulled it back into the driveway, and then came back later that afternoon to look at it. At this point, it did crank and I could drive it, but now the check engine light was on. The codes being thrown were P2111 and P2112. This forum and those codes led me to believe it was the throttle body. I was going to buy one, but local autoparts store out of stock, so I decided to just clean mine really good as I had some throttle body cleaner in the garage from a job years ago. I will add a picture below. I also came across a video on youtube that talked about how you need to recalibrate the throttle body after cleaning them or any work on the vehicle really, so I did that as well. I will link those videos as well below. I went for a test drive and all seems well at the moment, but really too early to tell. I will update if I experience the issue again.

https://youtu.be/ZNxXM75zJOw

https://youtu.be/JPNnHU6PYbo

View attachment 74611

Update: Just cleaning the throttle body didn't work. After I drove about 10 miles, the same issue happened again. Then on the way home, it happened again. I just purchased a new throttle body and installed it. I have now been about 50 miles with no issues. So it seems the throttle body was in fact bad.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had to replace my OEM ford throttle body, again, on my 2017. I had just replaced it last December 2021, no codes with that one. This instance, it was bad enough to throw the code p2112, and be so temperamental to be nearly undriveable. Of course I was 350 miles from home living out of a hotel. I had to emergently pull over into a median multiple times with zero throttle to get back to the hotel.
I ended up replacing with the autozone duralast throttle body because of its proximity to the hotel I was at.
The ford throttle body has a 2 year warranty, does anyone know, are these able to be bench tested? How would I go about this warranty with a ford parts department? Just show up and explain, or will this be a monster to deal with with ford?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had to replace my OEM ford throttle body, again, on my 2017. I had just replaced it last December 2021, no codes with that one. This instance, it was bad enough to throw the code p2112, and be so temperamental to be nearly undriveable. Of course I was 350 miles from home living out of a hotel. I had to emergently pull over into a median multiple times with zero throttle to get back to the hotel.
I ended up replacing with the autozone duralast throttle body because of its proximity to the hotel I was at.
The ford throttle body has a 2 year warranty, does anyone know, are these able to be bench tested? How would I go about this warranty with a ford parts department? Just show up and explain, or will this be a monster to deal with with ford?

Any authorized Ford dealer part’s department or a Motorcraft jobber can submit a warranty claim (refund request) on your behalf, if you have the part and the receipt.

However, to find a cooperative parts dealer employee to submit your request may be difficult (unless you bought the part from that dealer).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nameisbry