Loud rumbling sound felt in console area when 4 wheel engaged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am in the process of searching for this issue but thought I would also post my problem and see what you guys come up with.

I have a 2004 5.4 Expedition and recently noticed that when the 4 wheel is engaged while on freeway there is a loud roaring or rumbling sound followed by a bad vibration. The vibration is felt in the console area under driver seat. When disengaging 4 wheel, it takes a while to do so. Sometimes I have to tap the brake and I can hear/feel it disengage.

Tires are all the same size and in excellent shape.

I am leaning towards u-joint in driveshaft but not sure if it could be a bearing somewhere. That is why I am asking.

What are your thoughts? Thanks

B

bedrck46

Is this something that just started or has it been an ongoing issue Check the fluids in the transfer case and front differential also check front wheel bearings

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To be completely honest, I have no idea how long it has been doing this. I know last winter it was very quiet. I have not driven the vehicle much and when I do I leave it in A4WD. We are in Michigan and the roads have been cruddy for the past month. My wife has been driving it in 4 wheel on the roads when they are covered. That is how I knew about it. Up until then I had no idea there was an issue. I will start by checking the fluids and go from there. Thanks

B

bedrck46

get the DVD I suggested it will give you a lot of information on the different systems and also help when you do have questions here on the forum

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My experience with 4wd has been with all mechanical systems. Don't know how the new systems will behave with the electronic goodies. I would pull the front drive shaft and go for an easy drive in 4wd. If the roaring sound isn't there it is time to look at the transfer case. Have a real good look at bearings and races.

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you remove the driveshaft and drive in 4wd and noise goes away, couldn't the noise be coming from the u-joint in driveshaft? I guess the u-joint would probably not make a loud roaring sound though.