love hate relationship of an 08

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so most of you know I own a base standard 2008 Expy XLT and love it, now today at my job which is at a rental car dealer at the Salt Lake City airport we got returned a 2011 Ford expedition El and as I was cleaning it I was knoticing some of the features it has and really wan't most of them but not sure how to get them and how much it would cost and how hard to install and is any of it worth it?
Liisted below are the optipns i'm talking about

1) Navagation satelight radeo with possible backup camera

2) Guage/triponiter/milage reading button moved from speedomiter area to above the radio and replace the fake buttons

3) Stereo controlls on the steering wheel.

4) Reverse sensor.

5) power pedals (this is a maybe want option)

6) dvd player

7) buttons instead of the knobs for the ac & heater

is any of these options worth it? what is and what isn't? who has a fully loaded limited that can give me imput, i can't afford a brand new Expedition so i have to make due with what I have and yes I totally 100% love my 08 Expy just want more options is all.

Last edited:

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not the answer you're looking for, but are you able to get any sort of employee discount on buying this one you love so much after it's tour of duty as a rental?

treycool94

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i got all of that except #2 and a back up camara the reverse sensor is annoying prob not worth it steering wheen controls are def worth it i hate not having them on my 99 and power pedals are not worth it i never use it im tall need to know anything els?

Johnny Law

Reaction score
I purchased a 2011 Limited EL loaded last June

Definitely worth it. Backup camera is awesome.

2) Guage/triponiter/milage reading button moved from speedomiter area to above the radio and replace the fake buttons

I have no way of comparing as this is my first Expy or FORD

Useful feature, good for making phonecalls too.

4) Reverse sensor

Can be a pain. It is muteable so. I have to by-pass it when I tow the boat.

I really don't use them, but then again the wife doesn't drive the Expy. Not worth it IMO

6) dvd player

I only used the DVD player in the Navigation unit once as a novelty. Not real useful, however the rear DVD's keep the kids quite, worth their weight in gold!

Again can't compare, but the buttons are very functional. Also like the outside temperature readout on the center dash. Wife and kids can see the temp without asking.

Johnny

expeditionator

Reaction score
08' Expy install compatibility

Im pretty sure the wiring harness for steering wheel controls, radio, and navigation are there in your 08'. It should be just as easy as being able to plug the optional accessories right in ... as long as YOUR dash bezel is the same and DVD location is the same as an 11'. I work at the KTP plant where the EL (Extended Length) Expys are now built. Im an automation Engineer in BODY ... I can check on a few things in Final and Trim departments if need be.
Be more specific about the things you GOTTA have and get back to me ... Ill take a couple of minutes to look at compatibility and the issues surrounding...
Dave.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2008 loaded EB. All of the options less the nav radio. Never thought I'd use them all but I wanted them. After having them, can't think of any reason not to have them, they are very functional. I traded a 05 FX4 SuperCrew and 04 Explorer XLT on the Expy and I wanted everything. Backup camera integrated in the rear view mirror very useful when hitching up to the boat, rear sensors and camera very useful backing into the garage, heated/cooled seats more of a novelty but useful for the wife(I really don't use them, but they're there), power lift gate very nice, power fold third seat real convenient, buttons for climate control very clean, info center buttons are toys to track mpg, trips, run time, power pedals and seat memory very nice for 2 drivers and they even set the side mirrors, rear DVD a must for my kids, rear ac so the kids don't complain, Steering wheel controls put everything at your finger tips. I'm probably missing something but I love it all! Only regret, no Sync, wasn't offered until 2009.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nathanialson 08

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@ IAexpy- about my rental cars we have 2 types of rentals the ones that get rented From SLC and alwayse Returne at SLC, then their are the corprets (1 ways, rent here and drop off there) and my rental place is Alamo/National and we are owned by Gusman Chevrolet in Kaukauna WI, with that said all our cars we rent are only Chevrolets, and our 1 ways we get from Enterprise rentals so we get what they send us and some times they take cars away from us and when our cars hit the milege mark to be turned back and be sold they always go back to Gusman Chevroled in WI and Enterprise comes and takes theirs away when they are ready to be sold, so no I wont be able to buy that FORD Expedition EL and I don't want to the inside is all satined and the back cover that covers the spare tire jack was broke and it smelled like used diapers and was brought back muddy (it looked trashed on the inside, not taken care of), I was just noticing the features and wondeing how to hard to install them in mine and if it was worth it,

@ Expeditionater when i get a chance i'll show you photos of what options I was talking about so you can know more of the options i'm talking about..................................How is it working for ford?

Last edited:

expeditionator

Reaction score
If the money was'nt so damn good ... We'd all be GONE! Love our products. Excellent plant for quality and build. HATE management. Now I know why trucks cost so much. It takes 6 trades to do 1 job and no one but me seems to be in a hurry.

OP
OP
Nathanialson 08

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here it is the 2011 Ford Expedition SUV that got me wondering about the options I just did the outside because the inside would scare you.
1129110959-00.jpg

Last edited:

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so most of you know I own a base standard 2008 Expy XLT and love it, now today at my job which is at a rental car dealer at the Salt Lake City airport we got returned a 2011 Ford expedition El and as I was cleaning it I was knoticing some of the features it has and really wan't most of them but not sure how to get them and how much it would cost and how hard to install and is any of it worth it?
Liisted below are the optipns i'm talking about

Highly recommend the Nav. I have an aftermarket Kenwood with Garmin and love it.

All personal preference here. I have an '06 so this is f=different.

Nice to have. I lost these when I went aftermarket as I didn't want to get an interface to reset them. Kind of wish I had done it.

4) Reverse sensor.
Can be annoying, but I like it when in tight parking lots.

Only necessary when 2 very different height drivers use the vehicle often.

6) dvd player
Necessity if you have kids.

Buttons are for the Electronic Auto AC. Nice to have as you can just set it and forget it.

is any of these options worth it? what is and what isn't? who has a fully loaded limited that can give me imput, i can't afford a brand new Expedition so i have to make due with what I have and yes I totally 100% love my 08 Expy just want more options is all.

Answers above.