Manual anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since my trans is starting to go, I have been looking into options for my replacement next summer. Since I have the 4r70w, I have looked into either a rebuilt 4r70w, 4r70e, or go crazy and swap in a ZF 6 speed since I haven't seen anyone do it, yet. The beefed up 4r70w would be a simple straight swap when the trans is ready to go in. The 4r75e is what is bolted up behind the 04-08 5.4 and is the same case, but has beefed up internals. Gotts2Bme (Gott's mod) did this on his. The swap is direct other than a few changes in harness plugs and a tuned programmer and is relatively cheap.

Since I am planning on doing some work to my expy over the next few years to make it a not an everyday driver and more for off roading, I think a manual transmission would be awesome and unique. The Super Duty 5.4 has the ZF 6 speed that has the same internals as the manuals for the V10 and diesels, and will fit either a 5.4 or 4.6. I've been looking for information on this, but its like walking down a dark alley since nobody has done it. The trans is taller than the autos, but wouldn't be a big deal with a body lift or modifications to the floor. I did a little more info today and the e4od and ZF6 have pretty much the same dimensions.

While strolling across sites and looking for random information and specs, I found a thread that will be informational. Although it is depressing that somebody is currently in the process of my goal, it would make my process much easier when he is done. This guy is currently swapping in a ZF6 into a 98 expedition. He has made some good progress, and hopefully it works out well for him, and we need to try to get him onto our site!

As far as for me, I would need more work than him since my trans size is completely different, but with a project this wild, it would be worth it IMO, and the ZF6 is built for a heavy duty work truck, and is rated for up to 650 ft lbs.... nowhere near what I would be pushing.

Here is the link to his story.... What do you guys think??

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197070

zets101

Reaction score
I'd love to have a manual in my expy, just not enough to do all that work. I think its a great idea if you're willing to put all the work into it. I honestly would rather have a manual in an everyday driver than an automatic, but then again I live in rural Vermont. The increased efficiency and control would be great and would give a better truck feel to my expy.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was about to say. didnt some new member start his? haha i think you would be the first one with the 4.6. i want to this swap with the lightning swap. should be a nice $$$$$$$$$$$$$ project.

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya, I didn't see that until I posted this. It can be deleted if you guys would like, but I am definitely very interested in it, along with a SAS. I need to start making the list now, cuz its gonna be a long one...

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was about to say. didnt some new member start his? haha i think you would be the first one with the 4.6. i want to this swap with the lightning swap. should be a nice $$$$$$$$$$$$$ project.

Thanks for that, logged in tonight to look for my thread. In a weird turn of events, I am finishing this now. SHop called that was fixing her Corolla, and said F@#$ your toyota, come get, it I have your check cut.

So.... Monstro gets finished...

Tha1Mike

Reaction score
I just read about a person who just had finished what you will be doing, this guy is a freaking Mcguyver. His Id is MGTSLDR38 on this site he has pictures and all. check it out.