Map update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a post card in the mail from Ford giving me some options to update the maps in our 19 expedition. I had another Ford owner tell me we shouldn't need to pay for the updates. They said it should update via wifi on it's own. I do use the maps when I go out of town so accurate maps are needed. Do I need to spend the money for the USB stick? Or does it update on its own? The options were a 5 year plan or one time purchase. We keep our vehicles for a good while so the 5 year plan would make the most sense if I went that way.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know of any manufacturer that provides ongoing map updates forever, it is yet another profit center for them just like maintenance work. Ford advertises 3 years of updates when you buy a new vehicle, so a 2019 would be out of that time now. So you are probably not getting new updates any more.
Are you paying for ongoing location service in the vehicle? If so, the updates are usually included in that.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a post card in the mail from Ford giving me some options to update the maps in our 19 expedition. I had another Ford owner tell me we shouldn't need to pay for the updates. They said it should update via wifi on it's own. I do use the maps when I go out of town so accurate maps are needed. Do I need to spend the money for the USB stick? Or does it update on its own? The options were a 5 year plan or one time purchase. We keep our vehicles for a good while so the 5 year plan would make the most sense if I went that way.
I did the USB on our F150. Go get a $5 USB na It'll update fine.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When traveling in newly-developed areas that may not be on the maps, we rely on our phone or CarPlay. The street we live on still isn't on the Ford maps; and it's been around for thirty years.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When traveling in newly-developed areas that may not be on the maps, we rely on our phone or CarPlay. The street we live on still isn't on the Ford maps; and it's been around for thirty years.

Factory navigation is a thing of the past. CarPlay and AndroidAuto with Waze or Google Maps is the way to go. It's even more the case when you can download offline maps for Google Maps.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Even the upgraded Sync maps are about 2-years old but are worth a few minutes work.

https://cyanlabs.net/ has software that can update the Maps for free with USB. Only issue with the Cyanlabs update is all navigation history is lost. Not sure if the official upgrade does this but I ain't paying $150 to find out especially since I can buy a decent Garmin for that price.

My Garmin GPS receivers update maps several times a year. Out of habit I keep the one I used with my 2007 Expedition on the dash of my 2017 (hate for it to go to waste) and compare routes with Sync. Sync map just found the roundabout a mile from home that Garmin found two years ago...

-- Chuck

HISHONOR

Reaction score
Ford map upgrade are too little too late too expensive and not accurate. CarPlay using Google Maps or Waze that continually update and show real time are what I use and I travel a lot. 2018 with HD tow package. Odometer at 89,500.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65