Maybe cam phasers? Timing chain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today been driving the truck like normal all day and have had nothing out of ordinary happen (everything seemed fine) and I got off and exit and stopped at the red light (truck in drive) and while waiting there holding the brake the truck began to shake vigorously and make a loud knocking noise (like a diesel).
As soon as I drove off it went away and then came back when I stopped at a stop sign 30 seconds later.
When I put it into park it went away and eventually I was able to get it to happen again in drive but still it goes away when driving or in park.
Could this be the phasers?
I'll try to attach a video of what it sounds like...
Ps the tranny/exhaust/entire motor shake on their whenever I hear the noise.

Edit: I should also add that the video is taken with the truck in DRIVE with the emergency brake on
https://vimeo.com/173072067

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: after a little highway driving again I stopped at a red light and had the loud diesel sounds major shaking and this time I was waiting a bit longer and while in DRIVE the motor shut off....
I shifted it to park and started the engine again and was able to continue driving fine but I still getting the noise at stops

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I don't know man my phaser you can hear all the time, parked or in drive, while driving too I can sometimes hear the ticking but it never shakes. The shaking that's an indication that something with either the ignition or fuel delivery has gone wrong. Did the engine shake it more like sputter and drop in RPMs?

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know man my phaser you can hear all the time, parked or in drive, while driving too I can sometimes hear the ticking but it never shakes. The shaking that's an indication that something with either the ignition or fuel delivery has gone wrong. Did the engine shake it more like sputter and drop in RPMs?

Didn't really drop in RPMs so just knocking like that while in drive and stopped and it went away in park... My mechanic buddy owns a shop where they're done several cam phasers on the 5.4s and he says if I'm lucky it could be the two VCT solenoids and I should start there by changing the two of them and see if that solves my issue... And again I don't really hear any knocking while driving down the road which is why I'm thinking it could possibly not be the cam phasers

xfiles67

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our '03 5.4L has some timing chain noise, or at least that's what I think it is, and it sounds nothing like that.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our '03 5.4L has some timing chain noise, or at least that's what I think it is, and it sounds nothing like that.

After a lot of research I am leaning toward the VCT solenoids

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is quite loud! Dont use the truck. Have it serviced first. Most likely you have a worn timing chain.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is quite loud! Dont use the truck. Have it serviced first. Most likely you have a worn timing chain.

Easier said than done... Hear they usually run people well over $1000 just in labor

xfiles67

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easier said than done... Hear they usually run people well over $1000 just in labor

A 4 figure repair bill seems to be the norm at any shop. Ford really didn't make it easy to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 4 figure repair bill seems to be the norm at any shop. Ford really didn't make it easy to do.

I just about hate ford right now... More I read in other forums though the more I think there is a slight chance my problem could be as simple as bad VCT solenoids