Maybe cam phasers? Timing chain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fallingapart

Reaction score
2005 - 158K miles - 5.4 - cam phaser?

Hello! I would appreciate your wisdom. I have a cam phaser tick on a 2005 Expedition (158,000 miles, 5.4 liter) that is barely noticeable (I have good hearing - most of my friends can not hear it) but it has been gradually getting louder. I took it to a dealer yesterday afternoon and the service rep did not even go out and listen to it or check it with the computer. He declared that I needed a new $8000 engine. He said replacement of the cam phasers would cost $3500 or more and likely would not correct it. The repair shop manager came out and was even disagreeing with him on several things such as the first man telling me that I'd have to also pay for a new water pump (the repair manager said it was included in the new engine). I felt like it was a situation where he saw a woman customer and thought I knew nothing about engines, to be honest. He said that the engine would jump the timing chain and blow at absolutely any minute (he was being oh so VERY dramatic). I bought this car in another state - so this dealership is not where I purchased it. I would appreciate your opinions. I know you haven't heard the noise or put the computer on it, either. But on an early cam phaser tick, what are the odds that replacing the cam phasers and adjusting the timing could be successful? I know - this engine has 158K on it - but is this a death knoll problem or can a replacement of the cam phasers potentially resurrect this engine? Should I go get a Motorcraft oil filter (I read it as a suggestion on another forum) and/or put in a heavier weight oil? Once I have heard this ticking noise, what other damage has possibly occurred other than to the timing chain? Or is it time for a new engine? If a new engine - should I go with a Jasper or is there another that would be better? Or should I go with whatever a Ford dealership supplies as a rebuilt engine? Thank you!

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 05 with 247k on the clock, I have had the Cam Phaser noise for awhile. In my case I have had no issues and I have a really good mechanic and said really not to big of a concern. The ticking is from the locking pin that is in unlocked position at idle and initial start off. Once you start pin locks in place and no noise. I purchase the Motorcraft VCT solenoid off Amazon for $58 ea plus the cap $14 and replaced my self (really easy 20 minute job) I still have the ticking but it is barley noticeable and it was REALLY loud. Lots of you tube videos on the procedure.

So in my opinion that service center is full of S---.

BYW: my truck runs strong even before the Change

Fallingapart

Reaction score
Thank you very much, Jb14. I will definitely look at the VCT solenoid and see how to change it via Youtube. Thank you for the suggestion. And yes - I think that service center was completely full of it......

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your welcome one other thing if you dont already have in your tool kit you with need a T27 torx. Get a single piece driver, dont do it with extention and a bit. If the bit comes off you will have an issue.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VCT solenoids and a full synthetic oil change helped mine A LOT I would total recommend that to anyone thinking they're having phaser troubles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fallingapart

Reaction score
Thank you again, Jb14. Oooh - the suggestion of a one piece is VERY good advice - I hate to imagine a lost bit dropped in there! Ugg!

And thank you, Gruz7. I will definitely follow the suggestion from both you and Jb14 to replace the VCT solenoid. I've been running Valvoline full synthetic in it for the past 8-9 years. Would a heavier weight oil do anything to help? Would it do anything to the locking pin?

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you again, Jb14. Oooh - the suggestion of a one piece is VERY good advice - I hate to imagine a lost bit dropped in there! Ugg!

And thank you, Gruz7. I will definitely follow the suggestion from both you and Jb14 to replace the VCT solenoid. I've been running Valvoline full synthetic in it for the past 8-9 years. Would a heavier weight oil do anything to help? Would it do anything to the locking pin?

Heavyweight oil or adding Lucas to the oil will really only mask the issue it gets rid of the noise but not the problem basically.. But good luck brother!

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am using Amsoil 5/20 full syn. 5/20 works really well in our vehicles as pumps and screens were design for that weight so a thicker has no benefit. I agree with Cruz on adding Lucus full syn. Our vehicles have a tendency to use a little oil between oil changes and topping off with the Lucus between changes works well. But when you change out the VCT solenoid the phasers will get the lubrication they require and be quieter.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am using Amsoil 5/20 full syn. 5/20 works really well in our vehicles as pumps and screens were design for that weight so a thicker has no benefit. I agree with Cruz on adding Lucus full syn. Our vehicles have a tendency to use a little oil between oil changes and topping off with the Lucus between changes works well. But when you change out the VCT solenoid the phasers will get the lubrication they require and be quieter.

Couldn't have said it better myself lol