Mileage readout always Dim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just signed papers on a 2009 Eddie Bauer Expedition yesterday. One of the stipulations is that they fix the Dash Cluster. The trip computer screen is readable but very dim all the time. No Change with headlights on or off, The rest of the interior dims/Brightens like normal. Has anyone noticed this before? Is it Normal or broken? I don't want them trying to tell me its normal when It really isn't. All advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

B

bedrck46

bad solder joint on the circuit board Check on you tube for a video on the odometer light problem

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh boy, that was my hunch. I currently drive a 2003 crown Victoria, and the newer 2006+ cars have this exact same problem. I wonder if the dealer will come through and fix it for me.

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, got a chance to watch the video and I'm realizing its a much older truck and the odometer is totally dead. Mines a 2009 and
The readout works but doesn't get bright like the radio and climate controls do when u switch on and off the headlights. Is this still the same issue?

B

bedrck46

Sorry I also realized you had a newer expy I haven't heard anything about any issues with the odometer on the newer models Just thought that I would reference the video to give you a idea. I know the odometers on the earlier models that I have repaired would either be dim or totally go dead and it was due to a bad solder joint Worth keeping in mind.

Kindly post the cure when the dealer makes the repair It will be good information for others

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The odometer isnt fully controlled by the same dimmer as the rest of the interior lights. On the top of the dash you will see a little black bulb thing. This is the ambient light sensor for the automatic lights turning them on when the outside light gets dark. This sensor is also used for the odometer readout even when the light switch is not in "auto" mode. Check to make sure nothing is blocking that sensor.

Matt

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. I found it center of the dash. It's totally open but still awfully dim. Any suggestions on a fix?

merlemac

Reaction score
2009 Ford Expedition with the same problem - odometer is dim.
Everyone points to the fix on youtube for a 2000.
It's not the same fix.
Has anyone been able to diagnose and fix for the new models??

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe after alot of research it is more similar to the 2006+ crown victoria cluster issues. It is bad cold solder joints on some of the resistors. I just dont know which specific ones on our trucks are the ones needing the fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk