Mirror pop, Turbo rattle & intermittent grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
went to pick up today after 4 weeks at the dealer. they could not replicate the grinding noise that occurs every so often on acceleration and the rattle was still there after a cold start. they stated they fixed the rattle by replacing the the vct solenoids but it appears that wasn't the issue. they did address the pivot arms for the sun roof, the tailgate closing by itself and the mirrors popping. They stated that they can't replace the turbo until it throws a "code". I asked what code will be thrown when its a mechanical noise of the flapper rattling in the turbo housing. I received no answer.

I'm a little concerned here. I'm worried I have a similar issue, I have a 2019 with almost 9K miles on it. Every so often, cold or not (that is, for example today, drove it for about an hour and still had this issue) I can hear a rattle from some place under the front of the truck, sounds almost like an exhaust rattle but only happens at low RPM. Had the windows down, and really only heard it when for example I was next to something like a high center divider. goes away once the RPMs increase and only happens during acceleration, never seems to happen under deceleration.

But here's my big issue, I'm considering buying the SPD downpipes (already have the turbo adapters but haven't installed them, doing them at the same time). I'm concerned dealers will give me the immediate middle finger if I try to claim a rattle down there after doing that type of work. Thoughts?

I hate rattles, had a rattle in my WK2 in a sunroof that took 3 years to figure out, turned out to be a missing nut during production, and took 3 engineers flying from detroit to my dealer after I emailed the CEO of Daimler... But damn it was nice when it was finally gone.

OP
OP
A

acf83

Reaction score
week 8 update.

catalytic was found to have a rattle on the left bank, however the vehicle still had a the cold start rattle. That being said it did not seem to make as much noise upon start up, but the rattle/flutter was still there. It seemed there was two noises that where occurring, the cat and waste gate. It was then determined the left turbo was making the noise as well at the waste gate. I was present while the vehicle was cold started with service manager. This was my gut feeling, plus i could hear it with a stethoscope prior to taking the vehicle in 2 months ago. All other issues have been addressed, except for the grind/pop that occurs on acceleration at times. They asked if it occurs in cold weather, had to think back. I believe the only times it occurred was when it was cooler outside. They are going to vacuum test the hubs and perform the updated program for the Transfer case control module (TSB 20-2028). Hopefully this will wrap it up.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Smh, these are 70k to 100k trucks

why would one have to worrie at all and keep finger crossed about drive train issue's.

Should not be even a thought on the radar.

PoS

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Smh, these are 70k to 100k trucks

why would one have to worrie at all and keep finger crossed about drive train issue's.

Should not be even a thought on the radar.

PoS
This is the truth! I think your experience isn’t common but it does seem like more and more issues are popping up for people. Contrast this with a Land Cruiser forum and they are posting pics of odometers hitting massive numbers or buying used with 150k+ miles and running them with confidence. So far we’ve had no issues, but like you said... it is a blip on the radar I’m hoping to avoid contact with.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is why you shouldn’t buy the first year of a new generation
Idk man, I would grant this argument to the mirror popping issue but for cam phasers and turbo failures... that’s a stretch that’s just too long for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Ford guy and have had them for many years, both modern and a classic from the late 60’s and I can say that, while they are good vehicles, they aren’t great in regards to quality control and reliability. Anyone that says otherwise has either not owned enough of them or suffered from cognitive dissidence.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Idk man, I would grant this argument to the mirror popping issue but for cam phasers and turbo failures... that’s a stretch that’s just too long for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Ford guy and have had them for many years, both modern and a classic from the late 60’s and I can say that, while they are good vehicles, they aren’t great in regards to quality control and reliability. Anyone that says otherwise has either not owned enough of them or suffered from cognitive dissidence.
Word.

I love the Blue Oval as this is my third since I started driving in '99. That being said...

I sold my first F150 (2001 Triton 5.4l V8) around 120k miles because it kept blowing exhaust manifolds (3 in the last 6 months before I sold it). The final straw was when I was walking around in Lowes and heard "will the owner of a silver F150 please come to the front, your vehicle is smoking"...wasn't that an embarrassing walk to customer service.

I sold my second F150 (2014 Coyote 5.0l V8) at about 60k miles. It ran great when I sold it, but it had its entire engine replaced under warranty at 32k miles. There was something up with three of the cylinders that caused them to essentially commit suicide. There was a TSB for it that called for a whole new short block.

So I love these vehicles, and I will almost certainly buy another one after I'm done with this Expi, but I am not going to try to tell anyone they are great for the long-term. Buy them new, add an extended warranty, drop the keys and run away before that extended warranty expires.

Last edited: