Motor Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackdragon

Reaction score
Hey fellow forum friends, I could not find anything in a search but was wondering who is using what out there for oil in their 3v 5.4?
I was told for best performance just continue Motorcraft oil and filter but I'm curious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mobil 1 syntec, mobil oil filter, and Im changing it every 3 months.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2000 expedition with 5.4, I use Mobil 1 5w30. Been working great so far. Motor actually feels a little smoother. Was running castrol conventional 5w30. Don't thing the innards are that much different on yours than mine besides an extra valve. He'll Mobil 1 is used in Porsches from day 1 not to mention some race teams. As long as your engine has more than 7500 miles on it the piston rings and walls are seated in. Any one else got an opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

blackdragon

Reaction score
Yah she's a daily driver...I have 155k and I tow a 30' camper. On top of it all I have to do a cam phaser repair. While getting tires balanced and rotated today I saw "Pensoil Platinum" and "Castrox Magnatec"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had Ford recommended oil and filter for the last 2k miles, just changed oil to Mobil 1 Synthetic 8w20 and FL820s Motorcraft filter and there's a big difference. RPMs are about 300 lower to go the same speed up the hill on my street, engine is much quieter, no more piston slap on cold start, feels smoother and noticably more power. Exp is 2V 4.6l but it shouldn't make a difference.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used conventional oil in every vehicle I've ever owned and will be doing the same for the Expedition. Brands have varied a bit, but it's nearly always Pennzoil, Castrol, or Mobil oil. I usually change it every 6-7K miles. My last 3 vehicles all broke 200K (2 sold, still own one) and one of those had nearly 400K, so I'm sticking with my MO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik