motor replacement

help with motor swap info

• anything

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • anything

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

skunkbutt

Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback. Sounds like I should do a little more work on this before I change the motor. Its just such a bear working on it in the vehicle. It overheated when a thermastate failed and I didnt notice the guage until it started loosing power.. I shut it down and let it cool while it was foaming out the overflow canisted. At that point I believe the radiater failed as the trans fluid and coolant were mixed together. So after a few hours of flushing it ( no thermastate ) and cool down I drove about 100 miles to get home.
seemed ok but noisey. I assume it was in fail safe mode. skipping forward I replaced the radiater flushed the trans twice, new filter and ran ok but ten miles later it started ticking. Took out the fresh 10-40 and put straight 30 in and still ticked 05-20 in effort to see if it was a oil problem or a clearence problem still ticking so I figure it is a clearance problem.
After some research, I pulled the pan to ck the pickup on pump, was clean. No parts in pan. Then I pulled the passanger valve cover (5 Hours ) all looks good no parts laying on head chain tight, cam follower is intact, so Im thinking something is warn maybe a cam allowing more clearance than should be. But at this point it sure would be alot easier to work on it out of the vehicle and that is why I was thinking of swaping the motor for another. I actually bought a doner vehicle today.
But maybe some further work is a good idea. When I checked into the cam phasers, It was unclear to me it this 98 5.4 actually has them because it doesnt look the same as what I see on the internet What I am unfamiliar with is the duel cams and dealing with the timing if I got to that. Im just afraid of this which was part of the decision to swap it out.
Maybe what I should do is yank the motor and change cam phasers, ch all exhaust studs put a throttle position sensor in it see what happens. You guys have been very helpfull thank you
and0r BTW northern CA

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 98 doesn't have variable cam timing so there aren't any phasers to worry about. There are chain tensioners though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65