MPG Real World driving conditions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaun Swiers

Reaction score
What are you guys getting consistently?

Finally got our '19 Max Limited last week, loaded up with 302A and HD tow.

Love it so far, the bench seat with 5 little kids works exactly as we hoped.

The RSE leaves a lot to be desired, but oh well.

Still not sure about the power boards with all the gravel roads we have to drive, but I'm getting some PPF installed next week to hopefully limit any rock chipping on the rockers.

Back to the original topic-

I think the few hundred miles we have put on running anywhere from 60-74mph has avgd 19.5 or so. But there was a fair amount of idle time in there also.

What have you gotten running across the country not towing?

We're looking forward to taking it from MN down to AZ in a few weeks

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hand-calculate mpgs from all my fillups and record them for future reference. I've only taken one long highway-only trip when I wasn't towing, and that one I got 20.6 mpg one way and 20.1 on the way back. Each leg was about 440 miles. SWB 4x4 max tow, usually driving 65-75 on the hwy.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
About 16 to 17 city, 24-26 on hwy doing 65 to 70.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The best I've been able to get so far is 18.6 mpg on my commute with very conservative acceleration. This is driving in 2 Hi, Eco mode, using Dynamic Cruise set between 60-73 (mix of interstate and state highway). I only have about 2000 miles on the odometer, so hoping that the engine will still loosen up a bit. I also plan to start running Mobil 1 when I change oil at 5000 miles, so we'll see if mileage improves. Also running 42 psi with Michelin Defender LTX M/S (swapped out the stock Toyos). I realize this vehicle isn't meant for great mileage, but hoping to get closer to the 22 advertised highway rating.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2wd short wheelbase lmt 301 pkg. At first, i wasnt getting anywhere near that on the road. As soon as i hit 5k, mileage went up like crazy. I put in eco mode and set acc to about 70 or 71. If i wanna go a bit longer, i set her at around 67. No traffic and flat hwy, shell pull about 600 mi a tank, which is amazing considering she only has a 23 gal tank. We jus came back from san ant, 3 tanks both ways which is amazing considering its a 1700+ mile ride. And smooth as glass for the most part. Still needs a bit of compliance in the rear but its gottta be difficult to get the right balance with a truck this big. Shoulda went for the 302 cuz i like the soft floaty buoyant thing that so many ppl hate.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2wd short wb XLT w/202 package and 20 inch wheels. Average 20.6 around the area and right at 24mpg hwy at 70mph.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find the eco boost true to its name, you either get ECO or BOOST. One or the other. On flat at 65 I’m averaging 24. Mix with mostly highway 19 and mostly city 16-17.........About the same as my 2016 Denali with 6.2L.

2018 Expy Max Limited 4WD with tow and all Limited options.

The liveability of the expedition is superior but the driving dynamics of the live rear axle, brembo brakes and sportiness of the Denali were better. If it were just me, I’d still have the Denali but the room for the kids is way better in the Expedition

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
16.7 commuting a mix of highway and city everyday. On long runs with cruise control on have seen 23 but thats bald flat prairies sitting at 110km/h and no wind. As ever cold starts* kill fuel economy and as others have stated anything that gets the turbos going (or keeps the rpm above 2K) or towing and the ecoboost gets thirsty

Currently testing if 91 ron no ethanol makes a difference but Christmas interfered with my routine but initial 2 weeks showed an increase to 17.2

When my transmission is showing -10C fuel consumption is horrific but I don't care as long as it warms the car and me up faster :)