muddin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I am watching trying to figure out why you believe it does not have a limited slip differential till I got to the around the 4:00 mark. :O

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK so if I am wrong please correct me. It is my understanding that the LSD transfers power to both wheels as long as both wheels have some traction. As soon as one of the wheels on the axle loses all traction, the LSD is overpowered and only one wheel spins given that the other wheel is experiencing enough traction to facilitate the clutch slipping. I know I have an LSD in my truck since I can get two wheel skid marks on dirt roads and axle code H6 on the door sticker. But I have also been in situations such as at the 4 min mark where only one of my tires is spinning in the rear...

I am not trying to prove anyone wrong here, I am just curious if I am missing something.

EDIT: I just read online that one way to check for LSD is to jack up both wheels and spin one. If the other spins in the same direction, you have an LSD (meaning the clutches are working) but if it spins opposite, it is an open diff, or broken LSD. I will have to try it this weekend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KWT2000

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
since the fords use a clutch system it could be weak or wore out or even have to much additive allowing it to slip

i couldnt see it jerking or anything like it was trying to engage,

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
since the fords use a clutch system it could be weak or wore out or even have to much additive allowing it to slip

i couldnt see it jerking or anything like it was trying to engage,

That is true. Kind of makes me curious on the state of my rear axle though... I haven't wheeled it in quite a while since it gets me to work and back but it behaved similarly to the one in the video...

Do LSD's normally experience wear to the point that they need replacing within the life of the vehicle or are they a lifetime part in most cases?

OP
OP
KWT2000

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
on the diesel forums they talk about the clutches wearing around 150k, but they make alot of torque. either way from what i understand replacing the clutch disc is a easy thing to do