Muffler needs replaced, whats the best option to do it inexpensively?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 4.6L 4x4.

Needs inspected this month and I just found that my muffler split a hole at the seam that runs the length. I'm not looking for extra sound (quiet would be better). I just want to replace my muffler as inexpensively as possible (though I don't want to just JBWeld the hole).

Stock is just fine for me.

I guess my options are:

1. Buy a kit online and do it myself.
2. Take it Midas or Monroe and have them install whatever they sell.
3. Take it to an independant shop and have them piece something together.
4. Just buy a muffler and add it to the existing pipes.

Thought, suggestions? Like I said, not looking for sound, just fixed and inexpensive.

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the cheepest option is get the old one cut out and something else, which ever you like welded in, muffler alone can start at around $30 in some place on sale. There are some nicely priced kits available online starting at around $199 but you are then doing the install yourself, and there is cutting involved. Being that you are in the states theres usually free shipping.

Take a drive to some local muffler shops, and see what they say. Most can give you a pretty good idea, the ones that dont stay away from lol

Last edited: