Muffler swap- OEM for 18in Maggy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it was finally done. I wanted a little more sound, so I swapped out my OEM muffler for an 18 inch Magnaflow.

All I can say is "NICE!" :D It's what I wanted. You turn it on, there is that growl, but then it quiets down, but not as quiet as stock. If you rev it in neutral/park it's slightly louder. But, when reving it while under load (aka, WOT while in drive) it sounds awesome. :)

I can't really say anything about performance. SOP says very little to no improvement, though I can't be sure. It's been raining all this week, so I haven't been about to do a proper stomp on the gas:p

All in all, for just over 130 (66 for muffler, 72 for install) I think it's well worth it.:cheers:

Pix and video coming later today :)

XLTman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cant wait to see pics and video i am in the market for a aftermarket muffler also

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the video:
http://blip.tv/file/386560

In the video, I just realized I type something wrong. It's supposed to say "a foot or two behind exhaust pipe."

And here are the pics.

Before:
Photobucket is being gay. But you know how a stock one looks like ;)

After:
SNV34006.jpg

I think the video is best heard with headphones, so you can hear the lower frequencies better.

More pictures :)

Muffler by itself. 5X8X18, 2.5 center, 2.5 offset (yours may be different):
SNV34001.jpg

Flow through design FTW! :)
SNV34002.jpg

Got it at performancepeddler.com for 66.84 I think. Free UPS ground shipping from Magnaflow in Cali, so it took awhile to get here. But the wait was worth it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The polished ones are even shinier, but but they are more expensive. I figure I'm not going to be running over anyone soon :p

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, don't tow anything. If you want it quieter, a 5x8x24 should be quiet enough, and still get some sort of growl.

As far as sound-proofing, do you think spraying some of the undercarriage rubber spray (I forget what it's called) would help? They sell it at any auto part place and at Wal-Mart in the auto section. It's supposed to quiet things up.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking about that a little, but I bought some sound proof carpet stuff from JC whitney which I heard good things about. Thinking of doing both of those together.

green monster

Reaction score
Chuck S.
I put a flowmaster 70 on my 03 Expeditionand I tow a 5000# camper. The sound is barely noticible under heavy tow. Also, did the magnaflow y-pipe. Don't do the y- pipe for towing. I noticed a significant power loss in the 2000 - 2500 rpm range. I also have the sniper special forces programmer with a custom tune by Green03, It brought back almost all of the power loss in the low rpm range. Green 03's program also upped my mpg by 1-2 mpg on highway without the trailer and about 2 mpg better with the trailer. since you can't get the sniper program yet for your 07, I wouldn't change the y-pipe on your epxy The sniper (green03) program has made my 5.4 a different motor. Lots more power in the upper ranges. It just wants to go.
Anyhow, the flowmaster 70 gives a nice, but not overpowering sound.
Good luck.