My 1st mod: Gadget panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had my Expy for about a month now just got done with my first mod: I need to install a Beartracker scanner and a PA amp, plus switches for other future gadgets. I sacrificed that bin in the center console to put everything. Here it is.

Just got it wired up today and I am quite happy with it =)

expy11.jpg

OP
OP
G

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the "before" pix
expy12.jpg
This piece is held down with friction clips, comes off quite easy
expy13.jpg
The bin as removed
expy14.jpg
The face plate with the cutouts
expy15.jpg

OP
OP
G

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
expy20.jpg

expy21.jpg
The base needs to be modified to make room for new stuff
expy22.jpg
A chunk of it cut off
expy23.jpg
Trying for fit
expy24.jpg
Finished
expy21.jpg

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow the amazing. I wish I had that for all my aux stuff. Is that plate a custom fit for your truck or did you make it yourself?

OP
OP
G

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The faceplate is a custom piece. Originally I was going to have that in aluminum (cut by CNC waterjet), but it cost too much for setup and stuff (about $200) so I had a plastic shop cut that for me in black plastic, also CNC cut but much cheaper (about $60)

For those of you who are interested in the procedures -

1. I used a cardboard and traced the organic shaped opening with a felt pen.
2. I scanned that and used a draw program (Corel) to draw in all the other openings (after measuring precisely all the crap I am planning on installing..)
3. I exported that to AutoCAD and then gave the DXF file to the plastic shop and they just feed that to the computer.

Much better than trying to cut those holes manually. I don't have a shop, in fact I don't even have a garage, I had to do the whole project on my dining table.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks El =) Remember I was asking you guys how difficult it is to remove the center console and you showed me where the screws were? This was why...

Now I got the "CIC" put together, next step is to add the "weapon systems", ha ha.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem. Glad I could help a little bit in making such a bad ass install possible. :)