My 2000 5.4l Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im loving the pics. This kind of stuff is exactly what I'm setting up my expedition for. Thanks for sharing.

I've made this observation a couple times, on the Alpine Loop trip and the Eclipse Trip, I'm just as happy on easy backroads in my Expedition as I am on legit 4wheeling trails in my Explorer.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once in Telluride, I noticed my tire took a gash. It didn't cut a cord, but it looks like it's down to the cords. I'm getting it replaced.
http://[URL=http://s642.photobucket.com/user/TJUrbanek/media/Expedition/Trips/Alpine%20Loop/74A5808B-609F-4743-B98A-7F058B3E64BD.jpg.html][ATTACH=full]61436[/ATTACH]
[URL='http://s642.photobucket.com/user/TJUrbanek/media/Expedition/Trips/Alpine%20Loop/74A5808B-609F-4743-B98A-7F058B3E64BD.jpg.html'][IMG]http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/TJUrbanek/Expedition/Trips/Alpine%20Loop/74A5808B-609F-4743-B98A-7F058B3E64BD.jpg[/URL]

I finally got this tire replaced. I also decided to get another matching wheel and ANOTHER tire so I can do 5-tire-rotations and have a spare that matches.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After killing 2 mechanical style clutches this year, both while running the engine at about 4000 rpms for 4-5 minutes straight while climbing from Dillon, CO to the Eisenhower Tunnel, I decided to go with some electric fans.

First I considered piecing them together from other OE electric fans, like the Taurus or Lincoln Mark VIII, but I decided to go with the kit from Flex-a-lite (FLX-270). It has dual 15" diameter fans capable of 5000 cfm when on high and has all the brackets and variable speed controller in the kit.

The overall quality of the kit, I give it a B+. The fans, shroud and wiring seem to good quality, but the brackets left a little to be desired. I'm pretty sure I was either sent one wrong bracket, or they forgot one of the brackets and there was an extra (possibly for Lightning intercooler). So I had to get a little creative.

Here are the fans, ready to be installed:
91E8732A-1AE1-4D24-98C5-B61E8DE6FE94.jpg

One odd thing is that part of the install is to drill holes in the shroud and make a bunch of electrical connections. To me this is something that could probably be done at the manufacturer. But whatever, I know how to drill holes and crimp connectors.

6C4D4DEB-12EF-412F-8428-386FBCB0CE12.jpg
323AD14C-81E6-4814-9FAD-01CB40004512.jpg

I had an extra radiator laying around that I could get the fitment of the brackets right. I'm glad I did too. As you can see, I had to clearance the bracket to get around the upper fastener on the passenger side.
7633CE9E-D17A-4AEE-A023-ECAF88EB3ED3.jpg

The driver side is a different story. This is the side I'm sure I'm missing the bracket. It should be a 2 piece bracket like the passenger side. So I had to get creative and I mounted this bracket directly to the shroud.
E90DBBC4-F5F0-4D40-912B-4228B4649303.jpg

But during install in the truck, the driver side bracket had to be further modified to clear the upper transmission cooler line. I had to grind down the top to clear it. And I couldn't get it in anyway with the driver side bracket installed.

Once installed, the wiring was pretty straight forward. I ended up using the temp probe through the radiator fins because the hose adapter was too skinny. I could have drilled and tapped the thermostat housing, but I want to make sure it worked before I took it to the next level.
3EBFF68C-E815-418A-8B05-C6907327172E.jpg
DE5C9148-1F26-4AE1-91A9-7DF77C91F1A8.jpg

Initial impressions are very favorable. Cold start idle is eerily quiet since the fans aren't running. Once the thermostat opens, both fans kick on and cool the radiator down. I didn't touch the temp setting on the controller. AC performance at idle is great (although it was only about 80 when I tried). Driving impressions are much better- especially after driving around for 2 weeks with a completely engaged fan clutch. I've tracked every gas fill up since I've owned it, so it'll be interesting to see if there are any improvements there.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm about a week into having the fans installed. I'm really liking them. Acceleration from a stop is much peppier- I feel like I'm using the same amount of throttle but I'm not getting smoked by the car in the other lane.

I haven't filled up, but I've got 278 miles on the tank. The DTE lie-o-meter says I have 154 miles to go still. The gas gauge indicates 3/8 of a tank remaining. Now the DTE has occasionally said I can get over 400 miles on a tank- but it's usually like 410 miles, and that's only initially. I've almost drained the tank and its still expecting me to get 430 miles. Truth will come will I fill up.

AC performance is great. It used to suck in stop and go traffic. Now it blows cold no matter what.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The electric fans made a big change on AC at idle?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom, my only concern is if its running too cold, will that be a problem with your cats heating up enough to burn off the fuel OK.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The engine is still cycling the thermostat the same- it’ll still get up to 204 while stopped before cooling down to 192. On the highway, it only gets to 197 or so (that I've seen). The exhaust temp should not be changing.

The AC would work fine before- while on the highway. When I was stopped in traffic, it woild heat up. If I shifted to neutral and revved the engine, it would cool down.

Now the electric fans give me cold AC at idle.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's cool. It's amazing as much as the fans cost you, they would have put the right brackets in the box. It's always something Tom. We're you able to get credit for the clutch fan?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The engine is still cycling the thermostat the same- it’ll still get up to 204 while stopped before cooling down to 192. On the highway, it only gets to 197 or so (that I've seen). The exhaust temp should not be changing.

The AC would work fine before- while on the highway. When I was stopped in traffic, it woild heat up. If I shifted to neutral and revved the engine, it would cool down.

Now the electric fans give me cold AC at idle.

Will you keep posting for a while regarding these fans? I would like to do it but I'm concerned about slow speed off-roading and water. Thanks