My 2010 sounds like an actual diesel at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Update:

Got all the new parts on today.

Also finally got the oil pan off and got to see the surprises in there

That looks like it's the rest of the missing timing guides.

Also found some pieces of junk in the driver side VCT solenoid

Glad I decided to pull the oil pan. The filter screen was plugged solid. Which explains the low pressure and chattering phasers

Its been a long road but hopefully it's almost done View attachment 24993 View attachment 24992

View attachment 24991
Wow That's so much work and not looking forward to doing mine

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
Ours is a 2010, there is tons of room to do everything.

The hardest part has been getting the oil pan off. I wasn't able to drop the front diff as far as it needed to go. So it took a lot of pulling pushing and smashing to get it out, and then back in again.

Now I'm on the home stretch. Just buttoning it all up.

To get to this stage has taken about 9 hours

I think I have about 3 hours left

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
If you do it before the guides break you could save an easy 3 hours of fighting with the oil pan
Honestly either Way I'm pulling the pan. If I'm going in there I'm going to make sure theres nothing in there before it goes back together. I appreciate the heads up though

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
Great news, the truck is all back together and running great!

If anyone else finds this thread and wants an idea what they are up for here is some details

It took me 2 full days worth of time to do this job

I have average to above average mechanical skill

I have above average stubbornness and willingness to take risks

I did not have all the tools I needed for the job and had to buy some to get it done

I spent a lot of time fighting the oil pan (about 3 hours all in just for that)

Everything else was pretty straight forward.

I found the trick for locking the cams with vice grips. I did that instead of removing the rockers like in the videos online. I found this way easier and allowed me to adjust cam position when doing timing easily

Now I have to track down an annoying exhaust leak.

Super glad to have it all fixed!

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, so I have to ressurect this thread in hopes that @Stinky_1 sees this. I have a 2008, which is by most accounts identical under the hood to the 2010. I went to take the driver valve cover off this weekend, but it wouldnt come off. I had the harness out of the way, the bolts undone, the coils out. The valve cover was loose from the engine, but wouldnt come out. Nothing I saw was keeping it in there, but at the same time I couldnt get it off. I ended up putting everything back together to try again another day.

I know its an impossible question, but what did I do wrong? Is there some magic mojo to getting the valve cover off?

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
Remove oil dipstick tube bolt and turn the tube or pull it out. May be easier said than done. GL

Sorry for not jumping on here sooner!

I ended up putting all the videos together in an easier to follow way on my youtube channel. You can see it here

Hope you figure out how to get that cover off. Sounds like you missed the dipstick bolt like PitDexion said.