My 3rd mod: Landing lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the front of the Expy all wired up today. Those are "for off-road use only" KC 6x9 100W driving lamps. Can't wait to flash those idiots who drive with high beams on.

I am a bit concerned about the real estate of these gadgets blocking free air flow to the radiator. I guess I will monitor the water temp to see if it runs hotter than before.

expy41.jpg

expy42.jpg

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about the air flow. These trucks have plenty to spare, IMO.

When I had my Thunderbird, I had way over half of my radiator blocked by a tranny cooler, among other things...It did just fine. I think you'll be just fine.

OP
OP
G

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No Avro, those are "STL Grille Pro" from SpeedTech Lights, a company in Richardson, TX. Their stuff is fairly well built and MUCH more affordable than the typical Wheelens. All the emergency stuff in my truck is from there.
http://www.speedtechlights.com/

I got the lead from the motor pool chief on base here who maintains all the Navy road vehicles. They have switched to this company (from the typical GSA suppliers) a few months ago and saved a s-load of money. So far I am happy with their products. They are built overseas though you can tell by the bad english on the instruction sheets.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow those are more than half the price I paid for used equivalents. If they're as good this might be bad, I've already got tons of stuff that needs to go on I can't add to it!

SG1NUT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Speed tech lights are nowhere near the quality as the more expensive lights such as Tomar, Whelen, Sound-Off, etc. I would never buy from them, especially because they knock off the designs of other lights.

OP
OP
G

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are probably right that SpeedTech is inferior in quality to the real professional stuff - it is at a much lower price point. But the stuff I have gotten from them seems well made and I am happy with them.

But then again, I use them for novelty it is not like I turn them on everyday like a cop would. And I certainly don't want to pay the price of a Whelen or Tomar.

SG1NUT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I understand. The bigger brands cost a lot more than equivalent Speed Tech lights, especially Tomar. But, if you like them, thats what matters.

OP
OP
G

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW, SG1NUT you should know these products really well right? Didn't you say you install these on vehicles? Do you do it as a living? A sideline? Or a hobby?

SG1NUT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I sell emergency lighting as well as install it onto vehicles for customers. I am a dealer for Tomar, Nova, and Whelen.