My 5.4L saga ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Long read ahead. Scroll to the bottom for the TDLR version.

At around 155k miles I started noticing that I was needed to add oil more and more often, especially after long trips. Mechanic looked at it and insisted I was burning it (despite the visible errant drops of oil at the bottom of the power steering shaft. This kept up for awhile and after returning to the mechanic around 170k, he finally acknowledged I might have some seepage. Nonetheless, he advised me to keep driving it and do nothing. At 186k, I noticed a good bit of oil on the frame and the front of the oil pan. Back to the shop. He can't find a leak, goes back to telling me I'm burning it, but replaces the oil filter just in case as he found a little oil in that area. (Note that I had just changed the oil about a week prior.). Two days later my intake gaskets blow out. All of them. Back to the shop. He replaces them along with my tstat (without my approval), says it just due to age and sends me on my way. That began the weird coolant issue. The level is usually above the fill line by 1" or so. Seemingly at random, it will drop back to the fill line. This is all when the engine is cool. Additionally, since the tstat/intake gaskets were done the truck is running hot. It's not overheating, but on my old Stant SuperStat it was running 195-197 all day, every day. Now it will fluctuate all the way from 192-215. It runs 192-199 at steady clip, but as soon as I get stuck in slow-moving or stop-and-go traffic it quickly climbs. I ordered a new stat (to replace the new tstat the shop put in), but USPS lost it, so I have to order another. I pressured tested the radiator and it holds pressure just fine. However, with the engine stone cold, starting the engine causes the coolant level in the radiator to rise above the fill neck in < 10 seconds.

OK, so at just under 192k, I did an oil change last week. Immediately following the oil change I see a significant oil leak again. In fact, it's arguably even worse as I can even see some on the back half of the truck. This time I skip the shop and decide to just replace the filter again. When all is said and done, I determined that I lost about 1/2 qt in 22 miles. The new filter stops the oil from shooting out like it was. Every trip I now check it. I found some more oil in the drip tray and I can see wet spots all over the nooks and crannies above the filter. After about 120 miles I've lost maybe 1/8th qt.

In other news, no smoke at the tailpipe of any kind. Oil sample went out to Blackstone, but will probably be 2 weeks before I hear back. My idle is low at just under 500rpm. It's been this way for many miles and was smooth up until maybe 2 weeks ago. Now it's just a tad rough. In the last year I replaced a bunch of failed accessory drive components, including the water pump, belt tensioner, belt and several idler pulleys. I also replaced one O2 sensor. Scan tool shows nada. Zero codes. In fact, not only are there no CEL codes, but there are no codes stored in memory or pending codes either. Heck, even all of my EVAP tests are green. Fuel trims, which I watch daily, have been well above my expectations. In fact, the LTs often sit at 0 or very close to it. Gas mileage has been high 15s to high 16s - same as it's been for years. A little research on this brings up, primarily, worn piston rings, blown head gaskets, failing oil pumps and failed oil pressure relief valves. All of these are beyond my skill set.

Today I went to another shop. I've used this guy for minor stuff for years, but today I approached him about the above issues. He says he doesn't really work on Fords (shocking since I live in semi-rural PA and 95% of the pickups on the road are F150s ...). Nonetheless, he has been a mechanic for 30 years and he said although he hasn't seen anything exactly like this before, he is fairly certain it's a weak head gasket. He doesn't fix them on Fords, so he said if I want to go down that road I'd have to take it somewhere else. However, he said he can drop a Jasper reman in there for about $5k w/ labor. I told him to get back to me with an official quote as it's something I will consider if the head gasket is indeed on its way out. In the meantime though, has anyone here experienced anything like I'm describing? Wondering what my next move is.

TDLR version: What started out as a small oil leak has now resulted in 2 blown oil filters and blown intake gaskets. Radiator holds pressure, but coolant level rises almost immediately when engine is started. No other obvious signs of major problems. Mechanic thinks it's a weak head gasket and has suggested dropping a Jasper reman in rather than fixing anything else. Has anyone here experienced anything like I'm describing? What say you?

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d buy this tool from Harbor Freight for $24.99 and check for hydrocarbons in the antifreeze to confirm it is 69236766-4738-457C-AA92-E6B131D18AB8.jpegindeed a head gasket combustion leak before I made my next move.

OP
OP
ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d buy this tool from Harbor Freight for $24.99 and check for hydrocarbons in the antifreeze to confirm it is View attachment 69912indeed a head gasket combustion leak before I made my next move.

I actually picked one up a couple weeks ago and kind of forgot about it. Will definitely do this.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When it's as bad as you describe, with even a minor head gasket (cylinder to water jacket...) you'd be able to smell exhaust in the coolant reservoir, and maybe see some black soot traces in there too. Are you getting any coolant blow off from the reservoir, or air hissing from the cap ? The normal operating pressure in the coolant system is 3-4 psi . So if everything is normal you should never see any coolant blow off.

OP
OP
ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When it's as bad as you describe, with even a minor head gasket (cylinder to water jacket...) you'd be able to smell exhaust in the coolant reservoir, and maybe see some black soot traces in there too. Are you getting any coolant blow off from the reservoir, or air hissing from the cap ? The normal operating pressure in the coolant system is 3-4 psi . So if everything is normal you should never see any coolant blow off.

The reservoir isn't pressurized in the 3rd gens, so no hissing. It's not blowing out either though. When I pressure tested the radiator several weeks ago I ran it up to 15 lbs as per the service manual. It held for several minutes and didn't budge even a hair. No obvious visual indication of oil in the coolant or vice versa. I haven't stuck my head into the reservoir, but can do when I test for the combustion gases.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Don't even think of replacing the motor until you get a real diagnosis. Sounds like you're talking yourself into the head gasket failure which is a good possibility, but go through the motions of a good diagnosis. Remember the ultraviolet stuff you can use to check for oil leaks too. Easier said than done, but get in there and check around the head gasket for oil leaks. The first generation was known for these, not so much your 2011.

You may just have a gasket oil leak and a bad new thermostat. I hope.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sure your PCV valve built into the right side valve cover is venting crank case pressures out? If that’s not working you will be blowing every gasket imaginable out because that pressure needs somewhere to go…it’s an integral piece to the drivers side valve cover. If it defective the valve cover assembly requires replacement.

OP
OP
ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulled some coolant today and did the sniff test. I don't smell anything other than coolant and I have a pretty good sense of smell. I also did the combustion leak test. In fact, I did it 3x at hot idle and then I accelerated a couple times also. Test fluid remained blue. I then pulled the pump and blew into the tapered end of the tester twice (as per Lisle) to make sure the fluid was actually good and it turned yellow as it should. While I had some coolant out, I packed some up for Blackstone for good measure.