My 5.4L saga ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe next oil change run some engine flush through it beforehand? Did you ever check the PVC system ?
How's the radiator ? If it's not cooling, it's not cooling ....

OP
OP
ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe next oil change run some engine flush through it beforehand? Did you ever check the PVC system ?
How's the radiator ? If it's not cooling, it's not cooling ....
PVC on my list along with crankshaft vent.

Radiator seems ok. No leaks. Holds pressure. The truck will run fine when I'm cruising along, but as soon as the engine starts to work a little (in traffic, climbing a long hill, etc.) the temp gauge climbs. If the engine keeps working for a couple minutes, the temp climbs until the fan kicks on. Then it starts to slowly drop back down. I towed about 1,200 lbs the other day and the problem didn't get any worse (though 1,200 lbs is barely even noticeable for this truck).

I still don't know if this is at all related to the pressure issue or if the careless mechanic did something. This temp problem started immediately after he did the intake gaskets. I just can't imagine what he could have done to cause this though, so maybe it's a genuine coincidence.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If ******** got the thermostat wrong why trust that he got the gasket right? Could a wrong gasket give your same problems?

OP
OP
ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If ******** got the thermostat wrong why trust that he got the gasket right? Could a wrong gasket give your same problems?

I don't know. The guy is lazy AF so who knows what he did.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds like a lot of work, but you may have to pull that manifold off again to see what's going on under there. Is there a coolant tube under there somewhere as in the first generation trucks? Maybe something's dented, crimped or kinked in or around where that job was done?

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be something simple. Maybe! My motor was cutting out on acceleration. So many things to cause the problem but a few turns of a screwdriver to tighten the intake clamps from air cleaner to manifold and now the sensors sense and the motor runs smooth. The oil change with a new air filter caused months of bad running motor. One minute and a screwdriver fixed what could have been hundreds of dollars if I had put it back in the shop.

Good luck finding your "something simple". And I do hope it is simple.