My 97 Expo makes a single pop sound???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carmelo22

Reaction score
Taking off from the stop light today. A big metal pop sound came from, i think the front end. It does it in the mornings and evening when I first take off. I can not make it pop by steering or giving the Expo gas after driving it or it makes the single pop sound. When it pops it is kinda scary i can feel it pop in my feet. The steering feels ok?? I had all the tie rods replace about a year ago. thanks

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ball joint?

Jack up the front end. Grab the tire and try to move it around forcefully.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would also be thinking ball joints. Personally I would think lowers since those tend to wear faster than the uppers, but honestly both should be replaced anyways. Be careful jacking the truck up, if the ball joint comes out of the cup, you pretty much are replacing it right then and there. As it sits, the weight of the truck is at least holding it in, though I would not drive it like that long.

OP
OP
C

carmelo22

Reaction score
I did jack the Expo up and pull side to side, up and down. There was nothing that i could see that was "odd". No play in the ball ends. It does it also under heavy gas after a stop at a light just once I cannot make it do it again.

OP
OP
C

carmelo22

Reaction score
The upper ball ends are the only thing on the front end that have not been replace. All the tie rods and lower ends are new.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
It may be possible the brakes (calipers) are seizing and it breaks loose upon initial movement. But I would say only if it does it upon initial movement of vehicle.

Last edited:

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Speaking of brake calipers. Check for loose or missing caliper bolts? I had both caliper bolts missing from the left rear. When I noticed mine were missing. I saw lots of messages about F-150's losing front caliper bolts.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik