My 98 xlt 4x4, what else can go wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

georgecolon

Reaction score
I bought this for 1400, with 180,000. Its pretty clean overall and everything worked when I got it a month ago. Rusty took his hold and required that I replace the brake lines (found that out on the highway, scary). Transmission lines, that was fun. pass exhaust manifold (3 hours not bad, just cut most of it out and weld nuts to the studs and they came right out). rear trailing arms. again I just chopped the nuts off and it took less than an hour for all 4. now the heat has an issue, works great when just started but airflow decreases slowly untill its hot 15 minutes later and there is no airflow at all. The rear works fine for about 30 minutes then nothing. The AC runs all the time and the pipes under the hood get "frosty" and I am wondering if the evaporator is frosting up and causing airflow to be hindered. So my next diagnostic would be to disable the AC compressor, (how do you do that?) I cant find the clutch relay or fuse anywhere. Any body have an idea? Illalso be installing new running board frames, rusty got a hold of those also. Is there anything else I should be prepared to tackle soon? Just ordered the right wheel hub, its noisy. Also is there a source for quality high output alternators (prestolite or other OEM, not the ebay junks), I have a fair amount of communications equipment and my last truck had a delco 165 and that worked perfect, the ebay 250 amp barely did 150 when hot (junk if you ask me). Lots to say and ask, but hopefully Ill get it all at once and save some lip service.

Tha1Mike

Reaction score
I bought this for 1400, with 180,000. Its pretty clean overall and everything worked when I got it a month ago. Rusty took his hold and required that I replace the brake lines (found that out on the highway, scary). Transmission lines, that was fun. pass exhaust manifold (3 hours not bad, just cut most of it out and weld nuts to the studs and they came right out). rear trailing arms. again I just chopped the nuts off and it took less than an hour for all 4. now the heat has an issue, works great when just started but airflow decreases slowly untill its hot 15 minutes later and there is no airflow at all. The rear works fine for about 30 minutes then nothing. The AC runs all the time and the pipes under the hood get "frosty" and I am wondering if the evaporator is frosting up and causing airflow to be hindered. So my next diagnostic would be to disable the AC compressor, (how do you do that?) I cant find the clutch relay or fuse anywhere. Any body have an idea? Illalso be installing new running board frames, rusty got a hold of those also. Is there anything else I should be prepared to tackle soon? Just ordered the right wheel hub, its noisy. Also is there a source for quality high output alternators (prestolite or other OEM, not the ebay junks), I have a fair amount of communications equipment and my last truck had a delco 165 and that worked perfect, the ebay 250 amp barely did 150 when hot (junk if you ask me). Lots to say and ask, but hopefully Ill get it all at once and save some lip service.

I would talk to a mechanic to see if it is possible to bypass a an AC compressor, maybe by unpluging the compressors electrical, but you might throw a code. I would suggest to replace the condenser. Good luck post to what you do and if it fixes the problem.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just unplug the compressor. If it does still then its not from freezing over

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk