My sparkplug story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, mine is an 06 3-valve. It was a fleet vehicle (police) and had 130K when I got it. Changed the plugs following the TSB. Even bought a Lisle tool in advance. Got them all out without reverting to the tool (TSB says use carb cleaner. Dissolves the varnish better than PB Blast).

4 of them were relatively new Autolites. The other 4 (the back 2 and 2 others of course) were original.
Put in new motorcrafts.

After about a week developed a misfire. Pulled coil and plug, plug looked fine. Then I turned the plug upside right. The electrode promptly slid forward against the nose. It was broken off up inside the porcelain. No more motorcraft for me, ever. And they have the 2 piece nose. Next plugs will be one piece shell design, autolite or champion

OP
OP
plumcolr

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was brand-new, pristine out of the box. No way I could have stressed the electrode to make it snap without also damaging the porcelain.

Had a second motorcraft which the hex for the wrench to grip was not completely cut. Did not notice it until I had put it in the plug well. Cussed a lot, fished it out with a piece of fuel hose and cussed even more when I examined it and saw what was wrong.

Of course I was already hot under the collar at the thought of the government mechanic ghosting through his job by not changing the hard to do or hard to reach plugs.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...listen,those plugs are know for that. gotta puttem in right. last time i did plug change 5 yrs ago. i had to bring truck back cause they probably broke one while installing.
motor craft plugs ARE THE BEST for these engines....others fail.

im doing plugs today actually again....

OP
OP
plumcolr

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
06 and later 3-valve heads are different - that's why so many have issues getting plugs out and why I say motorcraft plugs (for this particular engine) suck. And a lot of Lisle plug removal tools get sold.