Nasty sound and light vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slowing down from about 20 down to 5 MPH I have a nasty sound and the truck sounds like it’s falling apart underneath. It does not happen when going faster or when slower than these speeds. Only happens slowing between these speeds. Checked the rotors and pads tonight everything looks fine.

Last edited:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could it be in exhaust? Broken up converter guts? Or is it only while truck is moving?

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe check transmission mount and motor mounts...I had a weird vibration/noise under certain conditions with my old f 150 and it was a broken trans mount.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Extensive checking of everything has turned up nothing. Thinking about ordering new struts, coils, control arms, ball joints, bushings and just redoing the whole front end.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I found it....not in the front end at all. Back brakes are cooked and metal on metal. No squealing, no sounds at high speed. But there is no pad left and it’s just the metal backer riding the rotor. Rotor is totally glazed and grooved. Guess they don’t do the squealers anymore.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every set of brakes I've ever bought including for the Expy's have the squealer tabs. Problem is the Expy's are so well sound isolated you can't hear them when you are in the car. Especially the back ones. State inspection should have caught them though if they were that bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1