Navigator Keyless Entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently acquired a 1998 Lincoln Navigator. 155000miles

I got 2 transponder keys but there were no remotes...

Is it safe to assume, If I order remotes I will be able to program them to the vehicle? I saw how the programming works, but I am wondering if it is possible that this truck didn't have keyless entry?

Thanks!

wyo_vr4

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently acquired a 1998 Lincoln Navigator. 155000miles

I got 2 transponder keys but there were no remotes...

Is it safe to assume, If I order remotes I will be able to program them to the vehicle? I saw how the programming works, but I am wondering if it is possible that this truck didn't have keyless entry?

Thanks!

Remote keyless entry was standard on all 1998 Navigators so you should be good to go.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're going to spend the money, you might just consider a remote start w/keyless system. They're not that expensive on amazon and remote start is a nice feature.

96mustangV6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 98 navigator has keyless entry. It came with one remote. So i bought a few others and orogrammed them. Not that hard. Also owners before had remote start put on and its synced with stock remote. Kinda nice so all i have to order is stock remotes.

OP
OP
J

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey rtbrjason

I have remote start on my other truck and LOVE it.....every vehicle should have it.....

But that would be OVER budget for the Navigator.....

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey rtbrjason

I have remote start on my other truck and LOVE it.....every vehicle should have it.....

But that would be OVER budget for the Navigator.....

Yeah I understand.. If you're able to just order a setup on Amazon for $50-$80 or so and install it yourself it is well worth that cost. If you need to have a shop do the install, it's much less cost effective.

I didn't realize the stock fobs would be so cheap either. Great deal on those.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 98 navigator has keyless entry. It came with one remote. So i bought a few others and orogrammed them. Not that hard. Also owners before had remote start put on and its synced with stock remote. Kinda nice so all i have to order is stock remotes.

What did you mean by "synced with stock remote"? You're able to somehow work your remote start with the OEM fob?

Mine had a remote start installed from a previous owner as well but didn't come with a remote. I ordered a replacement remote and got it programmed and it turned out they didn't bother to hook up the door locks to the remote starter so I was carrying 2 fobs around. Worse, once started, the stock remote doesn't lock/unlock at all. You have to unlock first then remote start.

I finally got the remote start unit wired into the lock wires so that I could remove the stock remote only to find out that when unlocking with the remote start unit, the entry lights (interior/running boards) don't fire up. So I'm still carrying 2 remotes in the event that I want to turn those on when unlocking. Would love to find a single fob solution..

evopanop

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 98 Navigator, as well. I just recently purchased two new keys and fobs, and have been unable to get the fobs programmed to the vehicle. I took it to the dealership and they were unable to get them programmed also, and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.

The previous owner of the vehicle had installed an aftermarket head unit, which was not working when I purchased the vehicle, so I removed it. There is currently no head unit installed at all. Could this be why the fobs will not program? Is there anything else I can look into?

Thanks in advance, everyone! :)