Need Help! Im so confused.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redman1911

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2003 expy eddie bauer with a 4.6. My expy is doing something weird. when I take off with the wheels turned (like entering traffic) there is a vibration or a jumping action (its hard to explain) it only does it when the gas is applied. If I coast and turn its fine and if my wheels are straight its fine either way. I'm so stumped. thanks in advance to any suggestions

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does your EB have 4 wheel drive?

When was the last time your front end had maintenance (bushings, joints, etc)

Have you checked the engine mounts?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's 4wd, it might be engaged all the time and this would damage your drivetrain eventually. Check it while the truck is on a lift.

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the 3.73 limited slip rear end, could be the clutch packs.
brick

OP
OP
R

Redman1911

Reaction score
It's a 2wd. I'm not sure what rear end it has but I have checked the ball joints, they seem good. Could it be the rearend?

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Possibly rear cv axles, that is my best guess. For reference one of my rear CVs is worn out at 145,000. I get one single snapping noise if I cut the wheel all the way while going slow in reverse. I don't have the symptom you do but I don't see anything else causing your issue considering it's a 2wd. Possibly a ujoint but not too likely. Bottom line is that there isn't too many components that could cause this since you don't have the 4wd. Do you think it is coming from the rear or front of the truck?

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Over 190K in mileage, when was the last time the struts/shocks were replaced. I had noise up front around 125K and it turned out to be a defective upper strut tower bushing. It was defective in that half of it went away after only 5000 miles of replacement. It would load and unload under sharp low speed turning conditions and then quickly settle back to a bottomed position during normal driving at speed going unnoticed.

Bronco79

Reaction score
My 2003 had this happen when the rear end fluid got low. I would start with top off
and check for leaks at the rear diff.

Bill Payer

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to mine. I added a friction modifier to the rear end. This helped and was inexpensive.

Good Luck.

My 2006 is still running strong at 188k.

Red92lx

Reaction score
Low fluid, need friction modifier or old clutch packs. I Would start by changing the fluid, pretty cheap and easy and a good chance of solving your problem.