Need help wiring backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a rely is only used when a "unit" is a high drain/amprage, such as a high power amp, off road lights or such. For a low drain unit like interior light, radio it doesn't need a relay. a fuse is a good idea from the power source to your "unit". A backup camera and a small monitor wouldn't need a relay. It wouldn't draw that much amps...from the looks of what you have in your Expy...you have a clear idea of what you are doing. Your back up system wouldn't be on for no more than a few minutes at a time if at all 60 seconds, your radio is on most of your driving time and it doesn't need a relay to keep it going.
Just my take.

take noted...

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a rely is only used when a "unit" is a high drain/amprage, such as a high power amp, off road lights or such. For a low drain unit like interior light, radio it doesn't need a relay. a fuse is a good idea from the power source to your "unit". A backup camera and a small monitor wouldn't need a relay. It wouldn't draw that much amps...from the looks of what you have in your Expy...you have a clear idea of what you are doing. Your back up system wouldn't be on for no more than a few minutes at a time if at all 60 seconds, your radio is on most of your driving time and it doesn't need a relay to keep it going.
Just my take.

Thats why I said I don't know what amperage your camera will draw and about limited usage. It may not be an issue at all. I am thinking of adding a back up camera to my Expedition as well because my rear view mirror is useless with my cage. I am also going to be adding reverse facing flood lights and so I will already have a 12v source from the battery to the rear of my vehicle. So adding a relay will be easy for my application.

I only brought it up at all because I have seen guys hook a wire from their headlights to their driving lights and powered both from the same circuit. That is bad.

OP
OP

07ExpyEL

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. The weather looks ok for tomorrow so I think I will try and get it done.

dtd07

Reaction score
If you have a 7 pin towing hookup you can add your back up flood light to that..it is already setup with a relay. just a though

OP
OP

07ExpyEL

Reaction score
unfortunately I don't have the 7 pin hookup. That is my next project, I already bought the plug and will be using the instructions from another thread on this site.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger