need new engine can I install a current engine ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dbg0823

dbg0823

Reaction score
Looked at mannys website... will ask on rebuild... why 4.56...
I'm running 35" tires, I use expo for road trips, tow toys, and around
Town... I get 18mpg highway the way it stands... the expo doesn't
burn oil, don't overheat , just misfire #6...

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"also why do you have 4.56 gearing? just a question. 3.73 is perfect. i have 3.73 gears and my 98 expedition tow's better than what my dad's 2011 chevy 1500 does. and i get actually decent gas mileage in town and highway."

odd..I have 3.53 gears in mine... but this string gives me a good idea about replacing motor if it goes... certainly cheaper than getting a car payment :)

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Indeed, running 35" tires, I can certainly see why you'd want much steeper gears.

I've got 3.73's in my mustang too, and am thinking I should go to 4.10's, even though my tires are still OEm diametre...

sixgun1

Reaction score
Just an idea...I bought mine not running of Craigslist for 1200.It is a 99,without air ride,and 2 wheel drive.Perfect body and interior.Has the 4.6.Had planned on pulling the 4.6 motor and tranny and replacing with a 5.0 motor and tranny from a mustang gt.But after getting home and replacing the fuel pump runs good as new.Has 197k miles,gets average 14 mpg.But the 5.0 in is in the garage waiting.If the 4.6 goes,its gone.Have a carb set up,and a mallory ignition,so the computer is not a issue.Will have to possibly change motor,tranny mounts,and drive shaft.But nothing major.Only other thing I may have too change will be adding a bigger radiator.But until the engine is in wont know.But will only have to swap the 4.6 radiator for the 5.4.Bought the donor mustang wrecked with 134k for 1k...

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an idea...I bought mine not running of Craigslist for 1200.It is a 99,without air ride,and 2 wheel drive.Perfect body and interior.Has the 4.6.Had planned on pulling the 4.6 motor and tranny and replacing with a 5.0 motor and tranny from a mustang gt.But after getting home and replacing the fuel pump runs good as new.Has 197k miles,gets average 14 mpg.But the 5.0 in is in the garage waiting.If the 4.6 goes,its gone.Have a carb set up,and a mallory ignition,so the computer is not a issue.Will have to possibly change motor,tranny mounts,and drive shaft.But nothing major.Only other thing I may have too change will be adding a bigger radiator.But until the engine is in wont know.But will only have to swap the 4.6 radiator for the 5.4.Bought the donor mustang wrecked with 134k for 1k...

Sounds like a cool project!!!!! Keep us posted.

OP
OP
dbg0823

dbg0823

Reaction score
Emailed mannys... explained what expo was doing, told me
It just needs heads and valve work... estimate is $1300...