Need some exhaust suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHSC

Reaction score
I have a 97 XLT 5.4 with 130k on it. I have finally fixed all of the coil and plug issues that we are all so familliar with. I would now like to tackle the exhaust. I have allready installed shorty headers last year when the stock manifolds went bad. I need some suggestions.
1. Cat back, sigle muffler (flowmaster) set up with dual pipes out the back?
2. Buy new high flow Cats, and do option 1?
3. Replace everything from the headers back? True dual exhaust?

What's the best bang for the buck? If I delete the rear cats, will that screw me for emissions tests? What did it cost you for your set up?

markanthony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Q 1. Cat back, single muffler (flowmaster) set up with dual pipes out the back?
A 1.This is a great way to go. most of the kits are designed to give the best you can get out the system. The duel pipe gives a good equal sound at the rear. In my opinion. I think the duel set up takes out the drone sound of some of the systems.

Q 2. Buy new high flow Cats, and do option 1?
A 2. UMM. with above exhaust system. It comes with all the best parts configured for the truck. The high flow cats would do more harm them good with the flow master cat back system.

Q 3. Replace everything from the headers back? True dual exhaust?
A 3. If you get a flow master cat back system. Their would not be much pipe to replace from the headers out. You can look into true duel exhaust. For me. I found that I have a lot of things in the way to move around and it would have been more a pain then it was worth.

True is that on mine. I have not upgraded the exhaust system yet. I have a muffler that is rattled loose the insides. The truck already is down to two cats that are functioning normally, so says the local trusted muffler shop. To top it all off. I have to talk my wife into spending the extra money for the upgrade. Since her Dodge Durango had to have the exhaust system replaced as well. I have some talking to do with her. If we upgrade hers then mine is an easy shot as well. She sees the benefit of an upgrade system to her gas mileage and power. She will let me have one. that is why I talked her into the Durango with the 5.9l v8

You will have to find what fits your money and go from their. For me. I like the flow master. Seems their are a few that flowmaster on their trucks and love it.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO... rear cat delete... cut factory Y for true duals and then flowmaster 40s.... thats what I have an love it

OP
OP
RHSC

RHSC

Reaction score
If I delete the rear cats, will that case any emissions issues? Are the rear o2 sensors still in use? I think I would like to do true duals for the most power and sound. What did it cost you to get that done?