Need to replace Cam Phasers or is it time to Replace engine advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Oh my you guys are really going at it in this thread,

OP follow this simple but logical rule, if the repairs cost more than the trucks worth then it's time to either sell it or drive it till its last breath, only way you can justify dropping more $$ on it than it's worth is sentimental value!

If you're planning on handing it over to your kid, that's fine but be a responsible parent and let them learn the lessons life has to offers if it breaks down in a week, a month, a year or what's not, if they cant fix it or keep it running then OBVIOUSLY they're not responsible enough to own a car in the first place

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My first real car was a 1956 Volkswagen that had the engine in 3 boxes that I had to reasemble myself. $50.00 later I owned it, and along with a book for dummies, a week later it was putting down the roads of San Francisco, with it's mighty 36 hp engine. My mom buying me a car? Yeah right! She barely kept food on the table!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ltharley

Reaction score
@Jb14 .
I'm with Trainmaster on just run it as is until the motor goes. Picture putting a few grand into it and, God forbid, your son, an inexperienced driver, totals the thing. Insurance won't pay out anything close to what you have in it.
Have your boy get a job and start saving for the replacement motor. When she dies, make the decision.

BillAlex

Reaction score
I am going through the same process you are right now. Ford Reman is about $4,000 in a crate and comes with a three year warrantee. At minimum, you need the Ford Phasers and the guides. Ford claims they have fixed the problem. The second thing that is mandatory is a Melling Heavy duty Oil pump. New water pump and I would go with Ford for these. A lot of guys have purchased a complete Timing Chain kit that is Ford OEM for about $850 on Amazon. I also did a check of local machine shops and narrowed it down to three shops. Did a Better Business Bureau check and honed in on one shop. They have mechanics there that will so a R&R for about a Thousand Dollars. Other shops seem to go $2,000 to $3,000 for the Ford Dealership. The book calls for about 8-12 hours so you are probably just wasting money at a Dealership. Most guys on this forum are pretty good with a wrench so if you are mechanically inclined, they can walk you through it with a little help from YouTube.
I know these cars kind of grow on you and I bought my 2005 new off the show room floor. It was my wife's car for all of these 13 years so when it hit 215,000 and decided to find another one just like the original one. Same color, Eddie Bauer and 100,000 miles less and rust free. Interior is immaculate. I decided to rebuild her and drop a Reman engine in her. These things are a work of art and sometimes its hard to let something you love get away. Remember your first girlfriend? There are some you probably would like to get back. So before you go and dump this thing of beauty, consider rebuilding her from the ground up if needed. After all, sixty thousand for a new one is not cheap. You can do a lot of rebuilding for sixty grand.

blue oval guy

Reaction score
those are all easy things to fix/replace.. if it were mine i would start with compression test and make sure you have a good baseline motor before starting with those repairs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69