New 2003 owner. What are the first things you did?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickrick123

Reaction score
I just picked up a mint condition 2003 XLT 4WD with 95k for $4800 bucks. And when I say mint, I mean mint (pics attached). 1 owner with perfect maintenance history. Only issues were power pedals (I manually adjusted to fix), a little back/forth play in the power drivers seat (plan to try the rail adjustment to fix), screw missing from the visor (already fixed), slightly out of front end alignment, and a small amount of surface rust and most of that is on the running boards.

I have ordered a replacement head unit to install (I have android auto in my other cars so it's a must for this one too) and I plan to add a backup camera.

What are the first things you did when you picked up your 2nd gen?
20230816_173116_resized.jpg20230816_172013_resized.jpg

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New headlights / fog lights
Weathertech floor liners
Swap the black wall side for the tires

Then pull all of the DTCs, to include EATC and cruise control to make sure everything’s on the up and up. Good looking truck.

OP
OP
R

rickrick123

Reaction score
New headlights / fog lights
Weathertech floor liners
Swap the black wall side for the tires

Then pull all of the DTCs, to include EATC and cruise control to make sure everything’s on the up and up. Good looking truck.
Funny you say that, I was searching last night for all the light upgrades. and floor liners :)

Already pulled the codes before I bought it and it was clean as a whistle.

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lift it!!! Lol. 3” front 2.5” back. 1.5” whee spacers with 285-75r17 tires. Mine is a 05 tho. Gonna start looking for a new one. Cape cod rust is getting to it.
IMG_1753.png

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had mine since '06, so not the first things I did. But I recently replaced the headlights. Makes a world of difference. Also, check to see if the rear washer is working. There seems to be several instances of the washer hose separating under the dash at the front kick panel. Your washer reservoir will seem to need refilling too often. Then one day it will drain overnight into the wiring harness that runs underneath the passenger door frames.

New headlights:
IMG_2458-1.JPG

OP
OP
R

rickrick123

Reaction score
I've had mine since '06, so not the first things I did. But I recently replaced the headlights. Makes a world of difference. Also, check to see if the rear washer is working. There seems to be several instances of the washer hose separating under the dash at the front kick panel. Your washer reservoir will seem to need refilling too often. Then one day it will drain overnight into the wiring harness that runs underneath the passenger door frames.

New headlights:
View attachment 78628

Thanks, headlights do have some oxidation but I'll probably wait until they get worse. I was looking at smoke lens projector lamps and putting LEDs in and also smoke lens tail lamps already. No issues with the rear wiper.

However, now after filling the tank we did discover a leak. It gets parked on an incline and if heading downhill the tank leaks from the top drivers side corner. I have a guy who is going to drop it and find the exact leak. I see similar posts that mention the tank is not made anymore so hopefully we can fix without needing a new one.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are the first things you did when you picked up your 2nd gen?
Drive it, wash it, rinse, repeat. We bought our 2003 in 2004 with 32k miles on it, so we had many years of just driving it. Aside from regular maintenance, I started modding only about 6 years ago... Daystar lift, I've also added Rancho Quicklift with the Daystar lift; I had 2017 Raptor wheels, but bought a new wheel set with a little more offset; I'm on my 2nd set of 315/70R17 tires; added Hypertech 42000 to correct for oversize tires and program for premium fuel (not notable difference); added Flowmaster FlowFX dual in/single out for a little rumble, but not intolerable. I've also replaced the headlight and fog light assemblies (maybe considered maintenance since they were hazy), and the front seat leathers and bottom cushions from The Seat Shop (worth the investment over 5 years ago). Now it just really needs new paint from 20 years in the Florida sun on the Florida coast.
20211210_100636.jpg
20211210_100626.jpg

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
However, now after filling the tank we did discover a leak. It gets parked on an incline and if heading downhill the tank leaks from the top drivers side corner. I have a guy who is going to drop it and find the exact leak. I see similar posts that mention the tank is not made anymore so hopefully we can fix without needing a new one.
If you're talking about the gas tank, I'll save you the money and tell you where it's leaking. There are 2 fittings (top front and rear) that are glued/plastic welded(?) into the tank. Those fittings crack at their mold seam. I found both of mine cracked when I replaced my fuel pump 4 years ago. I used some "fuel tank repair" Epoxy that kept them sealed for less than a year. Now I don't fully fill the tank unless I'm going to drive at least 15 miles after leaving the pump. And correct, the gas tank isn't available anymore. I check the internet every few months to see if 1 is available. I'd spend a few hundred on a new tank to not have to deal with the fuel leak/EVAP leak anymore.

Here's my post from another forum.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're talking about the gas tank, I'll save you the money and tell you where it's leaking. There are 2 fittings (top front and rear) that are glued/plastic welded(?) into the tank. Those fittings crack at their mold seam. I found both of mine cracked when I replaced my fuel pump 4 years ago. I used some "fuel tank repair" Epoxy that kept them sealed for less than a year. Now I don't fully fill the tank unless I'm going to drive at least 15 miles after leaving the pump. And correct, the gas tank isn't available anymore. I check the internet every few months to see if 1 is available. I'd spend a few hundred on a new tank to not have to deal with the fuel leak/EVAP leak anymore.

Here's my post from another forum.
Thanks for that. I get the check engine light with OBD code P0442 (small evap leak) every 4 to 6 months. I just reset the code and I'm good for another 4-6 months. But I can always smell gasoline at the left rear tire after I drive it. Now I know why.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I get the check engine light with OBD code P0442 (small evap leak) every 4 to 6 months. I just reset the code and I'm good for another 4-6 months. But I can always smell gasoline at the left rear tire after I drive it. Now I know why.
Same code here. I carry the Hypertech with me because it also reads codes and can clear them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett