New 2014 Expedition Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

salcar57

Reaction score
I'm posting this in regard to the Ford factory remote start system. It seems that after 2010 Ford decided to create a safety feature in their remote start system by stalling the engine after it's remote started and the door is opened. It has to do with the My Key thing they have now. I've done my research and fixed mine to work normally. Since back in 2009 Ford sent out a bulletin to all the dealers that on all 2010 or newer vehicles they programmed this feature in and the dealer is to tell any customers who complain about it that it's working normally and there's nothing wrong, that there's no fix for it and you have to live with it. BS...I actually went to my dealer and told them I wanted it programmed to keep running when the door is open and they said it couldn't be done, as I expected them to say as per the letter from the Mother ship. I found out that Code Alarm makes Fords remote start modules, did some research and reprogrammed it myself. I reprogrammed it to continue running even after the driver's door is opened and also changed the run time to 15 min from the 10 min factory default and it works perfect. HOWEVER....It seems that Ford must read these forums and they know once you find the programming button and LED the system can be reprogrammed so what they did now was conceal the wire into the actual harness that plugs into the module so nobody can find it....normally you can see it hanging somewhere under the dash near the parking brake. You need to remove the module now, unplug everything, unwrap all the electrical tape and if you feel around you'll feel the bump from the button & LED. Keep unwrapping it until that entire lead is exposed then re-wrap the rest of the harness again leaving that lead exposed and you'll be able to reprogram the module. Just thought I'd post this since Ford decided to get cute...it's bad enough the added this stupid so called safety feature and now they want to make it even harder for us to reprogram it. My advice to anyone looking to buy one...go have an after market one installed which all work the way they're supposed to and tell Ford they can stick their remote start system where the sun don't shine....Aholes!

B

bedrck46

Just curious.
Being you have reprogramed the system Have you now given Ford an excuse to tell you that your have voided the warranty by making unauthorized changes

OP
OP
S

salcar57

Reaction score
If they do void the warranty, they can only void the warranty on the remote start. Also, no modifications have been made to the wiring since it's a plug n play module. Nothing I've done has no effect on anything accept overriding the My Key feature which I have no use for anyway since I'm the only one who drives my truck. I simply reprogrammed it to meet my needs but if you're afraid then live with it the way it is with the annoying shutdown upon opening the door.

B

bedrck46

you ever think that was part of a safety feature that it shuts down when opening the door was just a thought being you had to unwrap wires etc just that you may have given them an excuse to tell you they had to troubleshoot the electrical system to find the problem,

I don't disagree with what you done as it is your expy Just was a comment to see if maybe you created a can of worms so to speak.

OP
OP
S

salcar57

Reaction score
Also...I am authorized to make modifications since it is MY vehicle now, not theirs and they have to prove that any modifications I make had a direct effect on a warrantied item as per the "Magnuson-Moss Act". It's the same thing as if you changed your muffler and they want to void the engine warranty.... they can't unless they can prove 100% that it caused, let's say, a head gasket to blow and that will never happen. JFYOI

OP
OP
S

salcar57

Reaction score
There is no trouble shooting the electrical system if there were a problem since the factory did all the wiring leaving a big plug that the RSM plugs into since it's all plug n play. No wires were cut or tampered with and the only problem would be caused by a bad module which I can easily buy for $100 direct from Code Alarm & plug it in.

OP
OP
S

salcar57

Reaction score
Where is the safety feature about an engine shut down after it's been remote started already then having to restart it again when you get in. To me that's Fords way of making us all replace our starters and batteries prematurely. Even if the door is opened while it's been remote started....where's is going to go? You still can't shift it out of park without the key...hit the brake, it dies....send the rpms past 1000, it dies...pop the hood, it dies. They key must be inserted and turned to the run position in order to move that truck anyway!

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He is correct. I thought about getting the factory remote start added to mine so I wouldn't have had to carry a "box" with my keys (get one of the remote keys with the remote start button). When I came across the door open kill engine feature, my mind changed. That's why I went with the Python remote start with two way communications (Much better as you know the vehicle accepted the command and is in fact started).

What's funny to me is how my 2013 Ford Escape has factory remote start and it stays running when you open the door. So how can Ford say it's a "safety" issue with the Expedition? Seems someone may be pulling a GM.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986