new and from Maryland

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

just bought 2000 expedition xlt 4.6l .. thats about all i know about it. i've been trying to buy replacement parts but it seems like they vary alot.. even just getting rotors or wheel hubs, even engine vin's .

the problems that i've been able to find so far.

- rust where the running boards are is kinda bad :puke:
- rust on bottom of the door is starting :puke:
- rust under the radiator support is pretty bad :puke:

- the brake lines are rusted and 2 are leaking from the rust
- fault code for egr flow

was concerned for the A4wd kicking in and out when turning while on pavement but already saw you guys had a fix for it by putting a switch on the brown wire. and i thank you for that bit of info.

what do you guys do for the rust and to prevent more rust?
also would anyone happen to know more details of my xlt or point me to where i could find more about it.

this is the vin number
1FMRU1669YLB70439 2000 4.6L XLT

thank you in advance,
Mark

B

bedrck46

Mark Go to ford etis and enter your vin number you will see what all was on the expy when it was built

Also consider cleaning the exhaust ports thru the throttle body You will need to remove the throttle body to do this There are some good videos on you tube about this

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
:welcome:

As far as rust I have used a combination of gemplers rust converter and Por 15 combined with a lot of scraping, shop vac, air compressor, rotary sander, etc.... It's a never ending and losing battle but it does slow its progress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Reaction score
thank you for the advice on cleaning the ports and also thanks for the info on slowing down the rust, and thx for the welcome.

the port cleaning i'm def going to do, anything to save money from just throwing parts at a truck is always nice.

as for the rust. yeah i took the front of the truck all apart, no front bumper or rad or coolers or side fenders.. and now i see all the rust and i dont even have a radiator support anymore. the bottom of it is gone.. rusted away. the rad and ac condenser were only there because they are laying on the frame. both of which need replaced because from them laying on the frame. it rusted the bottom of both and are f'ed up...

so looks like i'll be drilling out and welding in a new radiator support.. yay :puke:

and replacing all the lines on the extra trans oil cooler and the power steering cooler. also all the brake lines.