'new' engine, misfire on cyl 8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nerdwrench87

Reaction score
so I got a used, low mileage motor installed, and overall runs great. however, yesterday I hosed it down because it was filthy. it started throwing a P0308 - misfire on cyl 8.

I figured it was from the water in the cylinder, as that is something I'm used to.

I heated it up nice and good and drove it around for awhile, since I don't have a compressor to blow the water out. I cleared the code, and all seemed well.

I drove it to work this morning, and going up a hill, I put my foot into it, maybe 3/4 throttle, and it starts bucking and the check engine light starts flashing. I am willing to bet it is the same code, I can pull it once I get on break.

if it is the same cylinder, could it be from water, or does it sound like the motor has something wrong with it, and I should take it back under warranty?

*note* the expy is a 2001, and the motor is from a 2004, with 82,000 miles on it. Aside from the year difference, is there a huge difference between those years? the shop also claims they did a tune up, coolant, and T-stat. anything in particular I should check out?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my bet would be water for sure.

the rear "T" for the rear coolant to the core back aft, if you have that, is notorious for leaking after moving things around, or not drying off properly etc. from disconnection to get to 7 & 8 plugs.

personally, these things don't like direct water/fluids on them aside from what you'd get driving.

hope you get it figured out and report back.

OP
OP
N

nerdwrench87

Reaction score
I just checked on break, and sure enough...P0308 is back. It is stumbling pretty good. I'm not sure about the rear T for the rear coolant... I know it has rear heating and cooling, but I have never actually used either outside of testing in the 14 years the truck has been in the family. the rear heat kind of works, but the rear a/c doesn't. I figured it was a blend door and never messed with it.

so these have another Tstat in the rear of the motor, huh? interesting!

I'll spray WD-40 and then blow it out with canned air when I get home.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now you know why you don't wash these motors! Your describing a shorted coil, or connection to it. A sharp on/ off bucking is electrical. Pull the connector to #8 coil, blow it out, use a smear of die electric grease, and should come back. If not swap the coil next to it, or better still if you have your old motor, grab one of those coils. In the future, wrap plastic bags around coils, and any electrical items if your going to hose down.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

nerdwrench87

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I know that. Hopefully I didn't fry the COP. That number 8 is a PITA to get to come out to play. I lost my wigglies, so I am not looking forward to taking out the COP.

OP
OP
N

nerdwrench87

Reaction score
so I have not had time to pull the coil pack... I can do that on Thursday. (finals week). However, when its cold, it runs good.... until you jump on the gas. then it starts misfiring on cylinder 8.

yet it had a momentary good spell, and full throttle did not trigger the engine light, and I was doing 95 before I realized it.

sure seems to be more of a coil pack issue than a bent valve or something. and I knew better than to wash it down, my Hyundai doesn't like water either. *sigh*

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my bet would be water for sure.

the rear "T" for the rear coolant to the core back aft, if you have that, is notorious for leaking after moving things around, or not drying off properly etc. from disconnection to get to 7 & 8 plugs.

personally, these things don't like direct water/fluids on them aside from what you'd get driving.

hope you get it figured out and report back.

Isn't the rear "T" on the passenger side? Plugs #3 & #4
OP states P0308 That would be the back plug Drivers Side

I would check the wiring to the coil Also may be a bad boot on Plug #8

However Would agree that water and these engines don't mix

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well if you were wondering the sex of your Suv, now you know it's a boy! Boys never like to take baths!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No choice you have to pull the coil and plug out to examine and test them. If both are ok then check the electrical connectors for looseness -just slightly bend the tabs for a tighter fit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1