New Expy and new prob...plugs and coils or just plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flippingroc

Reaction score
CEL just came on and I've know for the last 5k Id have to do something and soon. After today, Im gonna park it till Monday when I can take it in. Truck has 224K on it and needs its 2nd tune up... im hoping that I can just do plugs @ ford. They said $450 for plugs- parts and labor assuming 1 or will break, but since it clearly has been done already they may not. Didn't seem terrible. Question is, do I HAVE to do the coils right now, or are they what is causing the problem? They want to 'diagnose'... they said an additional 600 for coils. I'd prefer not to, but if I have to then I'd want to get Accel super coils for the $178... Aside from spitting and sputtering even at idle now, the truck had the typical sputter/hesitation around 40-50 mph range. Additionally... if its the coils, and Im having them do the plugs, then instead of putting the old ones back in- they are just putting in different ones... so... theoretically, why should I have to pay for that? Most likely I'll bring that up to my service guy anyway. Is it okay to mix the Ford plugs with the Accel coils??? Any help is appreciated. I tried doing searches and the results were crazy and I sifted through so many and still didn't know what to do. Really surprised this hasn't had a sticky yet... THANKS PEEPS

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the CEL code? That'll tell you a lot. Might have some vacuum hoses that need repaired. Common issue. $450 sounds high to me for just plugs. Know a good independent shop?

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check rockauto or oreilly, last time, dealer charging me $27(Cdn) each plug, twice the price at rockauto and oreilly, like the naaks said,$450 is too much for just plugs

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dealer told me $350 for a tuneup and mines a 2009 with the fixed plugs. I think rock auto has the plugs for around 11 bucks a piece not sure how much ford wanted. Definitely going someplace cheaper than the dealer for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'm in NJ, some local shops did not want to touch my plugs, and those including the dealer wanted $800-$1200 depending on how many broke.
I purchased the plug removal kit and did them myself. Nerve wracking when they break (2), but I got them out ok. Not a technically difficult job, just takes a little balls to take it on. COPS are a breeze to install

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the plugs and coils myself on a Saturday morning. I used the Champion iridiums (I have to 2011 with the new plugs). I also installed the Accel coils. No problems. I had to buy a 9/16" sparkplug socket. My 9/16" deep socket I had on hand was too short. Personally, I would hesitate to do it myself with the old style plugs, but $450 is a lot of money. $600 for coils is crazy. Get the Accel's and do it yourself. Save $350.

OP
OP
F

Flippingroc

Reaction score
What is the CEL code? That'll tell you a lot. Might have some vacuum hoses that need repaired. Common issue. $450 sounds high to me for just plugs. Know a good independent shop?

For something like this... I've heard horror stories of people going to shops and don't know what they are getting themselves into and more so I know of a few shops that won't even do them. My buddy has an 04 F-150 with orig plugs and has about 75K on it... and its sounding like it needs it... If he wasn't a D-bag then I'd feel bad- because he was quoted $1200 from a different Ford dealer. I'm thankful to pay half of that...

sbar09

Reaction score
Best way to check your COB is to put a multimeter on it and run 12v through it. check for continuity. At over $100 a pop I would do the diagnostics before you start into parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik