New Headliner - Individual Light Stations Not Working *ONLY* When Doors Closed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdfuller

Reaction score
I've got a very strange problem with my 2003 Ford Expedition, that I've been the sole owner of for 18 years.

Can someone provide a clue please?

I got the full interior headliner replaced a week ago. Since I've gotten it back, none of switches for the five individual light stations - two front center overhead console, two 2nd row, and one rear liftgate switch turn on their individual respective bulbs *ONLY* when the doors are closed. However, when a door is opened, each switch works perfectly to turn the respective bulb on and off at that station. Additionally, the master roll switch by the driver is correctly set.

Prior to getting my headliner replaced, what normally happens is when the driver master interior light roll switch is set to the "middle" position and the desired dimness of the driver console selected, the driver console lights are illuminated when it is dark. Then each of the five individual interior lights turns on, only when that station is switched on, or in the case of the two front center console lights - pushed on - or in the case of the rear tailgate light - slid to the on position. For instance, when traveling at night with our young kids for long distances, we would commonly have to yell at the kid to turn off the one interior light over the one kid's head to keep from distracting the driver when that interior switch was turned on and left on for too long, while driving.

Now, that won't be a problem! LOL! Because with all doors closed, none of the five individual seat station light switches is allowed to turn on that particular light, but open a door, all five switches work!

Thanks for any tips!

OP
OP
T

tdfuller

Reaction score
One more detail that may or may not help... I can turn on all five interior lights, with the doors closed, when I roll the driver dimmer switch all the way up. Also, with the roll dimmer switch all the way up, I can also turn each of the five interior light switch stations on and off invdividually.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I'm reading it right it sounds like somehow the ground associated with the door open/close switch got reversed so the lights are grounded out when they should work and working when they should be grounded out. Just how in the heck that can happen I have no idea off hand.

OP
OP
T

tdfuller

Reaction score
Thank wht bronco......Any hunch I appreciate at this point.... Where is the door open/close switch?

OP
OP
T

tdfuller

Reaction score
So, I called the interior shop. The gentleman that did the work is very nice and curious himself. He said there are two harness plugs each with about 12 wires to the harness. Each plug is simply disconnected to bring the old headliner down for work, then when the new headliner is ready the plugs are reconnected and can only connect one way. They are in the rear passenger side near the rear AC unit. I hypothesized that perhaps one of the wires of the 12 or so that runs to the plug is cracked or broken and perhaps that one wire allows the five interior lights to be turned on/off when the doors are closed and the vehicle in motion. But he said the wires all appeared to be in great shape to him. He offered for me to come by just to recheck the two plugs, but nothing even remotely possible jumps out at him while brainstorming. I am also wondering if the interior cabin roll switch by the driver; if some microswitch subassembly to that allows the five interior lights to each turn on/off with the doors close and vehicle in motion, has somehow gone bad. But all theories at this point.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure I'll be of more help, but I'm pondering this as well. This certainly is a strange issue.

Turns out the door ajar switch as Ford calls it is part of the door lock assembly so I suspect my idea is not very likely.

Here's what I found for 2004 in AllDataDIY, so I'd check these I think:
Disconnect the two electrical connectors at the right side C-pillar and one electrical connector at the left side C-pillar.

That's the only electrical connectors the removal procedure identifies aside from the auto dimming rear view mirror and compass sensor. Neither of these would cause your issue though.

OP
OP
T

tdfuller

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the tips! I have another update. And another clue perhaps. The five individual interior light switches actually do work, briefly, when the doors are all closed... I'll explain in a moment...

Last night, I removed the right side C-pillar cover. I could see the two electrical connector harnesses. They both look firmly seated and there appeared to be no broken wires nor loose wires in the harness connectors. I did not yet remove the left side C-pillar cover yet.

... However...

I noticed that just after all doors are closed, and for the what, 30 seconds or so the interior lights remain on before they are slowly dimmed to off, the five individual interior light switches each all do work. So maybe this issue has something to do with whatever component allows all interior lights to slowly dim to off. Even with the doors all closed, as long as the lights have not completely dimmed to off, the interior light switches each turn their respective bulb on and off.

It seems to me that this component that does the dimming 30 seconds after all doors are closed has malfunctioned, killing the ability to turn on an interior light, once the interior lights have completely dimmed off. At that point, only the driver roll dimmer switch moved to the full up (all interior lights on) position will then allow all the interior lights to turn on.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably not the accessory power delay relay, but it's located behind the passenger side front kick panel. it's easy enough to swap out. In fact you can probably just swap the accessory delay relay and the high beam relay and see what happens.

1637108708897.png
Here's the power diagram for the Accessory Delay Relay:
1637109450451.png
If you can remove one of the overhead light assemblies I think you should find 3 wires on each one. See what ya got at one of those connectors. Similar to this:
1637109281521.png

I can't seem to find a specific module for the Accessory Delay like I expect to.

Keep in mind this is all for my '04 which is likely to be very similar and "maybe" the same.

Attachments

• 1637109140298.png
    1637109140298.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1637109162333.png
    1637109162333.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
T

tdfuller

Reaction score
Ok thank you whtbronco. I will start by swapping the accessory delay relay and the high beam relay and see what happens.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Check your fuses. I'm not familiar with this generation truck, but the lamps' power from the door switches may come through a different fuse than the power for the appliance switches. Look over a wiring diagram. If that's the case, follow the wire that powers them. Likewise, as was said already, locate and check your grounds.