New here; need help with a low idle issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frenchqtrchef

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just joined; I am having a problem with my truck and I'm looking for some opinions. I have a 2000 Exp 5.4L engine. When I start the truck, the RPMs immediately go down to around 400. I have to rev the engine up around 2000 RPMs for a few minutes, or else when I let off the gas it will die. When I come to a stop, if the truck is in 1st gear, I have to let off the gas very gradually and apply the brake very slowly - if I take my foot off the gas pedal suddenly, and apply the brake quickly, it will stall. It seems as though the longer I drive, the less chance there is of stalling, but the RPMs never go higher than 500. The engine light goes off and on randomly, as does the oil pressure light.

In addition, this is an intermittent problem. It comes and goes every two weeks or so, and lasts a few days. I never know when it's going to happen, and I never know when it's going to return to normal. When it does return to normal, it's as if the engine will finally "catch". I don't know any other way to describe it, and yes I am a woman. :) Sometimes when it does "catch", I'll hear the automatic door lock mechanism. Yesterday morning when I left my house, it started up and ran like normal. When I got in it to leave for lunch, the low idle problem began again. I haven't noticed anything that triggers the problem; i.e., wet weather, hot temperatures, etc. The last time this happened, for a few days it would do the idling low thing after being started, and then the RPMs would immediately go back up to normal (around 1000 for my truck). It did this every time it was started, for about a week, and then everything returned to normal. The time before that, it had been happening for a few days, and then one day it rained hard and I had to use my wipers on the highest speed, and as soon as I did this, the engine went back to normal. It's the strangest thing.

I have been using the same mechanic for years, and I feel like he really knows his stuff, but even HE hasn't been able to figure out the problem. I believe he said the code he got from the engine had to do with a coil, but that it didn't need to be replaced yet, and I believe he said the coil wouldn't be the cause of these symptoms. My husband has replaced the idle control valve and the fuel filter, and that hasn't helped. Any ideas?? Any suggestions? I don't want to put a lot of money into the truck, as my husband is pushing me to get something new at the beginning of the year, but I do need the truck to get me from point A to point B until then, and preferably without leaving me stranded somewhere.

**Another symptom I just thought of - the interior lights and the headlights will flicker and get brighter/dimmer with the revolutions of the engine. Also, the battery light will come on and will blink, but it blinks in such a way that makes it seem like there is some kind of short. The oil pressure gauge light that comes on randomly was checked and the mechanic said there was nothing wrong with the oil pressure at all, so maybe this is an electrical problem? The alternator was replaced in February of 2008; I was driving on the interstate when it went out and these symptoms are not the same at all.

***Well, yet another symptom I just thought of - when this problem is occurring, the headlights are very, very dim, until you press down on the gas pedal. Also - the A/C does not blow cold unless you're pressing down on the gas pedal. As soon as I take my foot off the gas, the lights go dim again and the air isn't cold.

Last edited:

huklebuk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try cleaning the throttle body, or it could be the idle air control valve. Mine was the throttle body dirty. But I just read on another thread that the idle air control valve can also cause problems.

huklebuk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also if there is a coil pack going bad, it is going to go bad and will misfire at the worst possible time. I know this from personal experience. The only real solution is to replace them all. They tend to go bad around the same time, and replace all the plugs as well. There is a chance that the electrical issues could be caused by weak coils misfiring. Use only motorcraft standard plugs, I tried using another plug and it blew the plug out. Hope this helps some.

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
easy to say replace all the coils... i have an engine miss but I live with it. Its not that bad and the truck has never stalled. However I cant tow my boat far because of it.

Coil packs run $50 each... $50 x 8 = $400!!!

huklebuk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
easy to say replace all the coils... i have an engine miss but I live with it. Its not that bad and the truck has never stalled. However I cant tow my boat far because of it.

Coil packs run $50 each... $50 x 8 = $400!!!

Oh I know its not cheap thats for sure. However I am going with personal experience replacing the coils all at once. I had 3 coil packs go bad at different times within 3 months. Once I was able to get home and do the repair myself. The other two I was out of town, once had to have it towed the sound was so bad. After that I just changed them all to prevent any further issues. They are good for about 100k so its not like you have to do it often. The one time I had to have it towed it cost me 175 for the tow and another 300 for the repair. I'm all about the ounce of prevention versus a pound of cure.

OP
OP
F

frenchqtrchef

Reaction score
Unfortunately, cleaning the throttle body didn't work. My husband has mentioned bad coils, but says that half of them are hard to get to, and it's hard to tell which one(s) are bad? Seems like the mechanic would have been able to tell if that was the problem, though. Maybe I just need to bring it back in. Usually the problem has stopped by now, but this time it's still stalling and idling very low.

Nas1

Reaction score
Have you had your alternator checked? It could be the voltage regulator going bad on the back of it or it could be the alternator itself. To me it sound like that would be the issue.

huklebuk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a last resort you can take it to the dealership and have them run diagnostics. Thats the only way you will know for sure which (if any) coils are going bad and what other problems there are.

Edit: Thats a good call on the alternator Nas1, with the electrical issues that could be the cause.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

frenchqtrchef

Reaction score
Had the alternator replaced in Feb of 2009; how long are they supposed to last? I'm not having the same symptoms I did when it went out the last time, but I'm sure that doesn't mean anything. My husband agreed that the alternator could be the problem. It just stumps me why the mechanic wouldn't have found that.

True to form, last Wednesday everything went back to normal. I stopped to pick something up on the way home from work and when I got back in the truck it fired right up with no issues, and it's been running normal ever since.

I did notice yesterday and especially today, when I first start the truck up, the engine doesn't want to turn over at first, and then once it does, all gauges max out and stay there for a few seconds, and then return to normal. Isn't that something that can happen when the battery is going bad - which could also involve the alternator?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1