New in Forum :) Million of questions. RWD to 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

janrivera17

Reaction score
hey I have a 2000 ford expedition xlt, its rwd, and i was wondering is it possible to make it 4x4, and how much money am I looking at? THANK YOU!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I don't think it would be practical to convert 2wd to 4wd because of the shear amount of parts and labor involved. You would definately need a donor vehicle.

It would be much easier to sell yours and purchase 4wd or possible try and negotiate a trade.

OP
OP
janrivera17

janrivera17

Reaction score
ah yeah i figured, I'm nearing my senior year, so i really wanted to sell mine to get a pick up truck, i do a lot of scuba diving and towing, but my dad really wants me to keep the expedition, he has always owned one but this one doesn't even have 4x4 :( I'm trying to do anything to it to make m enjoy it. I would like to lift it and such

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. convert it to 4x4 and go big by doing a solid axle conversion up front.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
You need front differential/axle assembly, transfer case, front driveshaft, shorter rear driveshaft, 4x4 front hubs, supporting hardware, different wiring harness for tranny, reprogrammed ecu, likely front suspension components, 4wd switch and wiring, and I am sure many other misc components I missed.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need front differential/axle assembly, transfer case, front driveshaft, shorter rear driveshaft, 4x4 front hubs, supporting hardware, different wiring harness for tranny, reprogrammed ecu, likely front suspension components, 4wd switch and wiring, and I am sure many other misc components I missed.

Dont forget some time consuming grinding to fit components....

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
different tranny or a new tail hosing. cause the 4wd trannys dont have that long tail hosing. also dont forget the fluids!

but if you want to do a sas then you are looking at the same amount of work, but no need to weld up the front cross member cause its different and do all that stuff. just find a junk yard D60 axle. make sure it works and has the right diff gears. then all the 4wd stuff. and you are good to go. but its still a lot of work. if you really want 4wd sell it and get a different one. haha

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
X100 on just go trade it in on a 4x4. Then lift the hell out of it, and enjoy it forever. :)