New Info on 03 Brake dust problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently enough of us are complaining about the brake dust problem that Ford is issuing a TSB to correct the problem. The only drawback is that the new pads will not be available until the last quarter. KEEP COMPLAINING and they will replace them under the TSB as soon as they become available.

Special Service Message # 16808

2003 Expedition/Navigator - Accumulation of brake dust on the wheels

"Under regular operating conditions, customers may notice accumulation of brake dust on the wheels of their 2003 Expedition/Navigator vehicles. Some amount of brake dust is inevitable as brakes wear. Dust can be cleaned by weekly washing with motorcraft detail wash (zc-3-a) and a soft sponge. Heavier deposits can be removed with motorcraft wheel and tire cleaner (zc-37-a). A low-dust service brake lining (pad) is being developed via the quicker service fix (QSF) process for customers who may find this accumulation objectionable. The new lining is expected to be available durring the late fourth quarter of 2003. Do not replace any components in an attempt to address this condition in the interm untill the new lining is available."

--The above is a quote from Oasis.

G

thanks for the info...getting tired of washing mine EVERY week

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! I am impressed. Maybe Ford ain't so bad after all.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by buxbeck
thanks for the info...getting tired of washing mine EVERY week

What cars don't have brakes that cover your wheels in brake dust in a week? I'd say that getting dirty in a week in normal, not excessive. With my previous car I would wash the rims EVERY day. Now that I just have stock rims that aren't anything special I don't mind as much if they get brake dust on them.

G

Thanks to all of those who have issued comments regarding the Brake Dust. I went to my local Dealer and was told that replacements will only be made if the customer pays for the service. Did any of you have it replaced with the warranty or due to the TSB? So far, my brakes have been really dusty and they seem to not care much unless I pay the (approx:) $350 to have them replaced. If that is the case, I will go with ceramic pads as many of you have done!

Thanks in advanced for your information.

Modern_Expy

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I've read so far, few to none have been able to get the brake pads replaced for the new ones.

Ford is basically forcing people to purchase the new pads and stating that the previous pads were functional and that cosmetic dissatisfaction wasn't enough to justify a warranty replacement.

Ugh.

Actually, I'm curious if anyone has been able to get their running boards replaced due to the excessive brake dust just caking itself onto the running boards.

Even with thorough washing, there is still some residue.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by smo0othride
What cars don't have brakes that cover your wheels in brake dust in a week? I'd say that getting dirty in a week in normal, not excessive. With my previous car I would wash the rims EVERY day. Now that I just have stock rims that aren't anything special I don't mind as much if they get brake dust on them.

My Exby!!! Ceramics are the ONLY way to go..that is if they are available for the newer model years. If I have to clean my rims once a month, its unusual. The semi-metallics, especially Ford's, simply blacken the rims. So the choice is up to you, Black rims..... or Clean rims, but the clean rim option is only going to be obtained with ceramics.