New Info on 03 Brake dust problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're switching from OE factory pads to ceramic, won't that cause a problem with excess heat from the ceramics warping the factory rotors? I've read numerous accounts of making the ceramic switch and everyone recommends changing to rotors compatible with ceramic pads, and others go as far as recommending crossdrilled rotors for even better heat dissipation.

Chesterfoxes

Reaction score
Yes - changing to ceramic pads on a vehicle originally equipped with semi-mettalic pads (from the factory) will likely cause a problem if the factory rotors are still present.

Ford found this out themselves when they made the change to ceramic pads in 12/03. Between then and 8/04, they continued to use the same rotors as before. Because of premature rotor warping issues caused by the new ceramic pads, they are covering warped rotors on Expeditions between these production dates (TSB). I doubt, however, that they are paying for new pads when the rotors are replaced.

I helped a friend change out the fronts on his '04 XLT (bad rotor shudder @ 26K miles). At the time, we didn't know about the TSB. We put ceramics on and new rotors. No problem since. However, when he found out about the TSB and took the old rotors in to his Ford stealership, they wouldn't do anything for him.

Bad Ford Expedition Engineering: Brake pads, oil dipstick location, and oil filter location. They should make their engineers work in the garage for 6-months.

cbridge

Reaction score
My 04 EDUR EXP with 16K miles - Felt Steering shudder when the brake was applied... suspected the rotor was wraping. I'm in MD and took it into to the Ford Dealership and they replaced both the rotors and pads... for free. 1st they calim the pad and rotor was only warranty for 12 months, but there is a TSB on it and and I was fortunate they replaced both pads and rotor.... No cost. Hope I'm always this lucky.