New member, buying an Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gto78

Reaction score
Hey, just joined the forum. I like it, looks nice and busy. I've got a 98 Eddie Bauer Explorer and after 11 years we're looking to replace it with an Expedition. It's both sad and exciting since we're finally getting something new to drive. The explorer has been extremely faithful, and does it's job really well. With the High Power V-6 option (instead of the old school pushrod v-6) this truck has almost identical towing power as it's brother with the V-8 option.

Anyways, we have 4 dogs and like to camp in the FL Keys. For us it's a 4 1/2 hour drive while towing a pop up camper.

I joined the forum in preparation for buying an Expedition. Before I buy, I want to know all about each model/year/version etc. This forum is really nice, looks like lots of good information and experiences.

I've been on explorerforum for years both helping and learning. I also have a lot of minor mods I did and shared with those guys, some of which I can use on the expedition.

Anyways, I'll be readin....later

JOE

davesexplorer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome, I too was an explorerforum transplant way back in the day when the forum started. I had a 99 Explorer sport SOHC V6 at the time and planned on getting an expedition. Well here I am with an expedition.

For the most part you have the XLT, Eddie Bauer and Limited Expeditions with the NBX, Funkmaster Flex and like mine the FX4 mixed in. The trim level all depends on what you want/need. See you around the boards.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I too spent many an evening on the explorerforums!! Then I moved here after we got our Expy. Had a lifted 93 XL.

OP
OP
G

gto78

Reaction score
Yeah I can't wait to get an expedition, but right now really is the fun part so I'm gonna enjoy it- shopping for one.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
first rule out air ride very, costly to fix

Boomer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drove E-150's (club wagons, Chateau) for over 15 years, did the towing thing etc. My 07 Expedition EL Limited is the best fit I have ever had due to my 6'6" height, leg room is fantastic, with cruise control on I can stretch my legs straight. Don't tow anything now but with six adults and some luggage I do see 18 to 19 MPG on the open road. Only thing I don't have is the back-up sensors, I think they are a must and next time I will get them.This is a great step up from an Explorer. Sorry if I sound like an FMC commercial.

fordman

Reaction score
'06 or 07' Exp LTD

Yes.. I agree w/ SIlver & Balck 07. I purchased a '06 LTD Exp (4WD) and find it to be a quality piece of machinary.
I haven't used the 4WD as of yet but plan on this winter in Mich.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

Sidman69

Reaction score
If you haven't bought one yet, I highly recommend the Funkmaster Flex version. First of all, it's an instant collector's item cause they made so few of them. Also, it comes loaded, and best of all, you can get it AT LEAST $10K cheaper - most people think they're gaudy. I love mine!!! 2008 FMF 2WD #048.

Last edited: