New Member - Upgrading from Explorer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave-FLHTC

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just purchased a 2017 Expedition Limited with Equipment Package 301A giving me the Navigation System, powered running boards and moon roof. I needed a tow vehicle for a 25ft travel trailer and the 2011 Explorer wouldn't do it so I traded it in. I was flip flopping between the Expedition and the Tahoe but decided on the Expedition for it's 9200# towing capacity.

I like the ride on the Expedition compared to the Explorer and the 3.5L twin turbo engine accelerates the Expedition nicely.

I like the real button climate controls on the Expedition, the Explorer was all controlled through the touch screen Sync system. Hope Ford doesn't make the 2018 Expedition like the Explorer in that respect.

I like the left foot room in the Expedition as well as the opening back panel window that will prevent wind buffeting with one window down.

I like all the towing features and hope it does a good job towing my ~6500# loaded travel trailer.

What surprised me was there are no LED rear lights and the headlights appear to be halogen. I would think a vehicle of this caliber would have HID lighting and LED brake lights. Looks like the fog lights are LED though.

I also miss the doors unlocking as soon as I touch the handle on the Explorer. Also, if the Explorer is locked and fob in pocket I can walk up to the tailgate and open it. Fob never leaves the pocket. I have to unlock Expedition to open tailgate but I can press any key on the security keypad to unlock it.

Dave

Last edited:

1ATony

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome to the site

Tony