New owner... few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little background on my Expy... Its a*2002 Eddie Bauer 2wd*with the 5.4. Bought it last year around November for $1200. It had 209xxx on it with a rod knocking slightly. I putted around in it till it spun the bearing. After that I had a local shop pull the engine for me and bring it to my house. I rebuilt the 5.4 myself and had the local shop put it back in and have clocked right at 3k on it since the rebuild and hope to get a lot more.

First question: What is causing it to sometimes feel like a quick stalling when at highways speeds? Almost like it stalls then kinda jerks a little when it gets back going... it all happenes really quickly.

Second question: I have read about the windshield leak problems but after a good hard rain I get water leaking from the ceiling vents on the back seats. Some other spots I need to seal up?

M1757

Reaction score
My 01 has a moon roof, there is a piece of metal an inch or so wide and the length of the moon roof, make sure that didn't come off, it redirects rain water.

OP
OP
C

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 01 has a moon roof, there is a piece of metal an inch or so wide and the length of the moon roof, make sure that didn't come off, it redirects rain water.

Can you provide a pic of this so I know exactly what im looking for?

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine did the stall jerk chug when I got it and it ended up being an issue with plugs, wires and mainly a clogged up ports from the (forgive my terms forgot the name) deal that feeds exhaust gas to this little device that bolts to the firewall then the part for the like throttle body. they had to use like a wire to push the carbon build up out of it. It is "common" for this to get clogged.

josephbourd

Reaction score
Okay , I'm pretty sure you've already figured it out , but I think the stall/jerk issue you were noticing was the overdrive kicking in it's perfectly normal .

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would bet it's the transmission re-learning. Especially on an old, worn transmission, the factory parameters are going to be way off for a worn-in transmission. That's also why it's going away, it's acclimating to the worn transmission and your driving style.

RonB1964

Reaction score
My 2000 Expedition used to leak from the roof. It was a former state police vehicle and I found it was missing a few roof rack screws. I put sealer on all the roof rack screws and roof buttons where the antennas used to be and it doesn't leak anymore.