New Owner questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Abrams

Reaction score
i just bought a 2020 Expedition Max XLT. I am pretty sure I have regular halogen headlights. I noticed my gfs wrangler rubi with LEDs has much better headlights. Can I just replace the bulbs or do I need to do the whole fixture? Any recommended bulbs?

Welcome! Recommend doing a search here. there are a ton of LED bulb related posts that will put you in the right direction

Goclmbmnt

Reaction score
If your limited doesn't have factory leds, get those asap! The factory halogens are trash.

Just upgraded mine last week from halogens to oem led headlights and tail lights. Night and day difference... absolute must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmer

Reaction score
Mudflaps--yes I would say so even if you have running boards. I have Weathertech and was happy with ease of install, however it looks like it can accumulate debris behind the flap--which may not be a big deal. If you add taller/wider tires, it may rub--but this may be the same with any bolt on mudflap.

Dave, I was watching an install video for the WeatherTech mud flaps and have a question.

Obviously pretty straightforward, I am just wondering if you did anything to protect/seal the painted flange on the truck that the U-Nuts going around. Even though the body is made out of aluminum it seems to me that the metal on metal nature of the u-nut to the body leaves potential for the Ubolt to rub the paint off the body and corrode over time- especially since it's low on the truck and I'd have to imagine the flexible mud flap moves around a bit with wind drag and snow/slush/mud hitting it.

Thinking maybe it would be a good idea for me to spray a little Amsoil HD MP around there at the very least or maybe even some sort of caulk to protect the metal under paint?

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't recall the install much. I uses to do a lot of "how to" stuff but I remember it being not that hard and I think the only thing I recall was just cleaning surfaces of existing grit. I've also gone from zero humidity, to high humidty and salt air, and now to roaming the East coast for the next 9K miles during snow/salt storms. Maybe I'll have them take a look when I eventually get the Bilstein 5100 shocks installed...

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dave, I was watching an install video for the WeatherTech mud flaps and have a question.

Obviously pretty straightforward, I am just wondering if you did anything to protect/seal the painted flange on the truck that the U-Nuts going around. Even though the body is made out of aluminum it seems to me that the metal on metal nature of the u-nut to the body leaves potential for the Ubolt to rub the paint off the body and corrode over time- especially since it's low on the truck and I'd have to imagine the flexible mud flap moves around a bit with wind drag and snow/slush/mud hitting it.

Thinking maybe it would be a good idea for me to spray a little Amsoil HD MP around there at the very least or maybe even some sort of caulk to protect the metal under paint?

I took no precautions when I installed mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't either, but I did drill some extra holes and use some of the plastic push pins to attach the inner parts of the flaps to the well liner, just to make it a little more sturdy. Front and back.

PXL_20210208_012902217.jpg

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regarding the heated steering wheel, the manual states the following:
Note: The system uses a sensor and is designed to control the temperature of the steering wheel and to prevent it from overheating.
Note: In warm temperatures, the steering wheel quickly reaches its maximum temperature and the system reduces the current to the heating element. This could cause you to think that the system has stopped working but it has not. This is normal.

So, it’s not a single fixed temperature. It varies.

Ours is very hot. Painfully so sometimes. But then a while later it’s much milder.

Admittedly it could be the ambient temperature being SO low here, maybe causing the car to go overboard with the heating.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you dont already have the rear “expedition” branded rubber/plastic cargo mat it is pretty great.

It Velcro’s directly to the carpeting and allows you to fold seats up and down individually. I tried weather tech, husky and one other before finding this, it’s a must have IMO.

For my non Max 2019 it was this part name and # below.

Genuine Ford Cargo Area Protector - For Non-EL
SKU part # LL1Z-6111600-AA

I bought the Weathetech one, and I’m disappointed. So, the official part you posted has a split down the middle to allow the 3rd row seats to raise and lower individually?! That sounds fantastic. Do you have a photo you can share?